Cottam was first used as a crude grass dispersal satellite by the Whitley squadrons at Driffield - 77 and 102 - between Sep 39 and Aug 40. Following the devastating raid on Driffield, it was used between August and October 1940 by the Battles of the 4 Group Target Towing Flight, but was then vacated during the winter months, possibly because of its exposed position. By the following spring, the Driffield was expressing himself as dissatisfied with Cottam as a satellite, but May and September 1941, the 4 GTTF was again housed here. By this stage of the war, grass satellites were judged as less than ideal for the operation of heavy bombers so the construction of concrete runways began here in February 1942. At about the same time, however, Bomber Command was reviewing its airfield requirements in the area and it was ultimately decided that Leconfield and Lissett should be developed as the substations for Driffield, leaving Cottam available for other uses. Once the runways were complete, the airfield was offerred to Coastal Command for use by 2 O.T.U. at Catfoss, but although this arrangement appeared satisfactory at first, there was some concern about clashes with aircraft using the coastal ranges at Filey. Subsequently it was offerred to Flying Training Command but was rejected because of its very limited living accommodation. Since the R.A.F. appeared to have no reason to use it, the station was temporarily loaned to the War Office to house 600 Army personnel and when these departed in March 1944, the runways were used by a 26 Group Radio Vehicle storage unit as part of the preparation for the invasion. Very occasionally, a bomber in distress would make an emergency landing here, one being a Halifax at the end of a very long range SOE operation and another an 8th Air Force B24. Finally, it was decided to house 244 Maintenance Unit here for the storage of bombs and this appears to have been the last role undertaken by an airfield with an unprecedentedly chequered career.