Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: STORAGE DEPOT - Handforth (61 MU)

Default Re: RAF Handforth building. Any ideas?

REF obviously your memory is failing you as RAF station plans are listed in the audits:

Handforth (ED) 647/45, 645/45, 507/45 & 646/45
    Handforth (ED) 11176/62B (s) & 11175/62B

That makes six plans available!

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Handforth / 61 MU

Yes, it would be clinker or furnace slag much used as temporary paving and on hardstandings and to create temporary footpaths.

It was the curse of our Bomb Disposal Flights when carrying out airfield and bomb store clearances because the mine detectors of the day (Mk 3A and later 4C) would
    'ring' continuously masking any real signals. There was a setting on the control box marked 'PAVE' which was used supposedly to filter out the slag noise. It worked up to a point but if there was any suggestion that the ground being searched had buried objects we would be forced to dig trial holes to get clear of the noise.

Hi

I am also a local resident and am after some info on the site. I went to school in the area and have memories of going down Longsight Lane near what is now the A34 bypass main roundabout, walking a little further and then coming to what were some abandoned ex military looking buildings along with what I seem to remember a circular concrete or tarmac piece of ground. (Which I used to ride a field motorbike round!) Just driven through Total Fitness car park, and on the Bramhall/Woodford exit, the road appears to be lined with the occacasional low level anti tank obstacles. Sorry if I have repeated any info already in this thread. I would appreciate any ones thoughts/observations. Cheers

Would also add that I live on Bolton Avenue (On the map). Believe the estate was built in1960! My prev post should of read I was at school in the area in 1978. Thanks

Hi

new to this forum but have worked at the MOD site in Cheadle Hulme since 1976. I lived in Cheadle Hulme from 1968 and we used to explore the old MU site.

I visited it with a camera in 1975 and took some pics .. I will upload them .. the quality is a bit dodgy due to developing issues ... but they are a record of before demolition took hold ..

cheers

Hugh

Hi

album uploaded ... http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m...t%20in%201975/

I will caption them when I get a chance

Hugh

right then ... have sorted pics and annotated an aerial view with locations .. so here goes ..

the aerial view :-

pic 1 - the loco shed

pic 2 - the generator house and storage shed

pic 3 - the points for the siding at the genny house and storage shed

pic 4 - view across rail crossing to large shed

pic 5 - the crossing near the Pay Office with crane and sheds in background

pic 6 - the double transfer crane adjacent to the main rail transhipment shed

pic 7 - a loading ramp at the south side of the rail transhipment shed - single crane in background

more to follow when sorted ..

another one ..

Pic 9 - the small shed and the two tracks leading into the main rail transhipment shed

and a new aerial pic with shot 9's arrow included ..

Last edited by hughs; 29-07-2011 at 21:15.

the door lettering on the main rail shed -

more views of the two road loco shed -

and some detail on the double crane at the main rail shed

Hughs, excellent pictures. I hope you have many more to share. By a strange coincidence, this arrived from Cheshire council yesterday. It dates the removal of the railway lines and two 5 ton capacity 'Herbert-Morris' overhead cranes, to June 1974.

The official tender had a closing date of 28th March 1974, with an instruction to clear the site within three months. Interestingly, the tender expressly excludes the removal of the buildings, telegraph poles, electrical wires and the boundary fence. I wonder how much longer the buildings lasted?

James

1a.jpg

23merged.jpg
    Last edited by Jamesb; 30-07-2011 at 10:41.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information