Thread: RAF Banff Memorial.

Default RAF Banff Memorial.

Default Re: RAF Banff Memorial.

Hi airfields man I'd be interested to know where you got these pics from. As you can see they're obviously copies of mine!
    PS plus one thats not.

Well I was wondering the same thing as I had no idea where they came from ?? Had them for years, So thought that i may as well show them as not ! If they are copies of yours as they so obviously are then all credit to you. As on the French or Swedish memorials that i've shown i have said that they were sent to me !! As my mates girlfriend lived in Scotland he managed to get me a few airfield memorial photographs over the couple of years or so he spent up there, so thought that maybe they were some that he gave me. You must have also sent me one of the Dallachy Strike Wing Memorial ? Had i been able to find this it would also have been on show !!? My apologize.

Just for your interest, a couple of pics as a reminder (for me) of just how long ago it was that we built this thing . . .

This is the original order of service card, which I produced by hand in the days before computers. I was working as a draughtsman at the time and did the illustrations and designs in my lunch breaks, in between dealing with a raft of mail from ex-Banff veterans all over the world.

The drawing of the stone was my "impression" since it and the bronze plaques had not been delivered in time for these invitations/orders of service to go out.

Happy days.

One more pic for the memories.

We (the trustees) found ourselves heir to some strange-looking round granite rods, after the granite merchants had delivered the stone.

These were the "plugs" where the granite was bored out to make dowel holes to hold the main plaques in place.

What should we do with them?

I know, said one bright spark, lets treat ourselves to a small momento each, and put a wee brass plaque on each of the plugs with our name and trust title on it, and finish it off with a wee mosquito lapel badge from the Clivedon Collection people . . .

Good idea - and so each of us now has a little bit of the memorial in our homes.

Actually, I've also got a shed full of Mosquito bits as well, plus a huge collection of photos, artefacts and documents.

But another book beckons with that little lot!

AND FINALLY, A LAST LITTLE CAUTIONARY TALE

One more thing I should mention I think, if any of you get around to building a memorial with brass plaques . . .

We had one well-meaning local at Banff (pretty sure I know who) who noticed soon after the memorial was unveiled that the plaques were quickly turning green.

So, completely anonymously, he (or maybe she) went to work with a wire brush on a regular basis scraping off the green and also - in the process - permanently scratching our very expensive plaques.

We had to get the local press to do us a "front page" piece explaining to the unknown cleaner that the plaques were designed to be protected by what is known as "natural patina" and that - basically - they were designed to go green!

The scrubbing quickly stopped, but the damage had been done, unfortunately!

So be warned - explain things clearly at all times, lest someone "help" you out!

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

I wish the Kenneth Bannerman memorials would turn green!

Thread Information