Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romney Hut

Default Romney Hut

In another thread I was discussing a WW1 hanger there was some confusion caused by a building that resembled a hanger only a short distance away. When I looked at the photo of the building I recognised it as a Romney hut.
    The Romney hut was introduced during WW2 and resembles an oversize Nissen hut, it was often used as an aircraft hanger. This is the only example I have seen in the UK, the only other examples I have seen are the two used by the Malta air Museum.
    Does anybody know of any other surviving examples?

Default Re: Romney Hut

There are Romneys at Matching on the Officers site by the water tower.

SuperMod

Romneys have been widely used. A firm from the Downham Market area, Bussens & Vigrass,has done a big trade in refubished Romneys for a wide range of uses. Also, the George Cohen 600 Group was a prolific retailer of Romneys post-war. This latter firm had use of the B1 hangar at Spilsby which was used to store components for Romney (and Nissen) huts.

Philbasildon as requested.

As I mentioned in the other thread I wouldn't be suprised if if it hadn't come from either Matching or North Weald. Now I would volunteer to go and photograph the ones at Matching, but the road up to the Officers site has more Private signs than Buckingham Palace. Denis, do you have a picture of them on your Matching airfield website?

Thanks Paul, The two in Malta are enormous, about five times the length of this one. They house the Malta aviation Museum, well worth a visit its at Ta' Qali next to the football stadium. http://www.maltaaviationmuseum.com

I've looked on Google Earth on the ones in Malta. The two I spoke off are just to the SW of the stadium which is built on the old airfield straddling the old runway. One is quite visible as it is painted bright blue, the other just to the north of it is very hard to see (camouflage?). The main Museum building is just to the south and what looks like another six Romney huts to the right.

If it is a Romney then, I have never seen one with horizontal windows like that, Quonsets had horizontal windows but it is more likely a Romney.

They could have been added at a later date. I have seen pictures of the ones in Malta being erected, the ends were completely open, I think many of them had corrugated iron cladding on their ends. Quonsets are of similar size to a Nissen hut. The Romney was much larger, one of those in Malta contained a Dakota complete except for the outer wings and it was possible to walk right round it.

If I may correct you slightly, firstly I was talking about the sides (they look like windows but may not be), secondly Quonsets were available in two spans 20ft and 40ft (were technically known as sheet steel arched rib utility huts or sheds). They were built to any length in multiples of 4ft, though the 20ft spans were generally 32ft long. The Romney shed is 35ft span, normally 96ft long and the smallest span Nissen is 16ft (4ft shorter than a small Quonset). Having said that I still think the Moreton building is a Romney but interesting about the windows or what ever they are along the side. If your in the area again perhaps you could confirm whether it is a Romney or not and report back please?

The side windows of the Malta ones are very similar if not identicle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information