Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Pillboxes

Default Re: Pillboxes

As an American in England one of the things I appreciated the most was the presence of pillboxes. Not because England had neared invasion, but as a constant reminder that there are those who would threaten you and your way of life and the British prepared for it and withstood. While there I often found myself exploring and admiring, photographing them still pulling duty all over East Anglia. (http://news.webshots.com/album/62616225lTFgXb ) What Id give for those reminders dotted about the landscape over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brothmark View Post
    As an American in England one of the things I appreciated the most was the presence of pillboxes. What Id give for those reminders dotted about the landscape over here.
    A shared sentiment of several American friends who have taken many photos of pillboxes when visiting the UK Mark!
    One friend from Connecticut would holler out for me to stop every time he saw one, and leap out to take a photo. It made me realise how much we take for granted here.

Another ground level type is built into the base of a brick wall situated on the road to Great Saling, and very near to Andrewsfield.
    Last edited by Denis; 31-01-2010 at 11:01.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Odd, I have twice posted a response to NPs Post No 26 but it aint here!

So Carnaby, there are so many typo errors in the proof copy that you still haven't finished it! Come on, Paul's already got me hooked as a buyer but I suppose that after 70 years of waiting a couple months more wont make any difference.

Meanwhile, the subject pillbox in Street View:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...214.37,,2,5.59

Here's one at Great Bricett nr Wattisham...

and 2 within the grounds at Wattisham...

Presumably their survival is due to still having a purpose nowadays.
    They're really just a modern version of the wartime Norcon-
    http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/norconpage.htm
    I found the remains of the base of one on the beach at Prestatyn while on holiday last week.

I just replied to your thread over on DP but I'll say again here. I think the small one is the battle headquarters it's appears to be only brick walled so is likely to be an observation post rather than a pillbox. The other is a unique type I've not seen before, built for the site probably. as requested at DP can I have their locations for my overlay?

Cheers

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by cptpies View Post
    I just replied to your thread over on DP but I'll say again here. I think the small one is the battle headquarters it's appears to be only brick walled so is likely to be an observation post rather than a pillbox. The other is a unique type I've not seen before, built for the site probably. as requested at DP can I have their locations for my overlay?

Cheers

Steve
    Hi Steve
    Thanks for the reply, i didnt think the first image was a pillbox but wasnt quite sure, the submerged part of the slit trench building is only a small box room, but boy do they stingers sting to find out,
    Whilst we are on pillboxes ?? this from Llanbedr, although now buried, it wasnt until the MOD had to make pools for the protected great crested newt, and the spoil was dumped on it,again not sure wether it is a pillbox but here goes

But i do know were one is, its just trying to get access which is just outside the perimiter fence, tried today but the public bridleway wasnt quite close enough to get a shot

Certainly looks like a Type 22 with an overhanging roof, although roof overhangs are generally square to diguise the hexagonal nature of the underlying pillbox. Definitely out of the ordinary.

I found this one yesterday, 26-07-2010, though whether or not it's airfield related I wouldn't know. Took the photographs from inside my car as it was raining, only fine stuff but lots of it. This is about a mile outside of Stroxton village heading towards Stoke Rochford. About three miles south-west of Grantham.

Hi all
    Here are 2 from Dinas Dinlle
    Seagull Trench

inside

blocked entrance

only slit not blocked up

sorry about the camera in the shot

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information