Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Pillboxes

Default Re: Pillboxes

Quote Originally Posted by mbriscoe View Post
    You can see the one I posted if you look up the hill from the lay-by near the waterfall.
    I have stood in that lay-by many a time, photographing the waterfall and the glen, but never spotted it. I guess I'd had never gone with the intent of looking for WW2 remains - just playing the tourist! Won't miss it next time though! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CornwallPhil View Post
    I have stood in that lay-by many a time, photographing the waterfall and the glen, but never spotted it. I guess I'd had never gone with the intent of looking for WW2 remains - just playing the tourist! Won't miss it next time though! Thanks.
    It's like the ones near Loch Crerran, that I posted the link for, I have been down past there hundreds of time and of course never seen them. Now I know they are there I sometimes notice them as I go past.

It seems to be quite common!

I found a place to stop on my way back to Inverness, about 1/2 a mile south of the box. NOT to be walked in the dark, its a narrow stretch of road with cars appearing at quite a speed!
    I managed to go up to the Garve box and have a good look at the outside, however the walls on the uphill side are allowing water to seep in and its about two feet deep in water!

I took plenty of pictures, but yet again having problems with the upload. Will have to photobucket them.

Thank you for the heads up on the other places to look, sadly I am back on the south coast of England. But may have a look on my next visit. Still have half of the Loch Ewe defences to photograph yet. I did get some in Aulbea this time, but not the cove 6" naval gun location.

Have you seen much out that way?

Just seen your Flikr mbriscoe and realised you have been to Loch Ewe and its many treasures.

Quote Originally Posted by Engimaneer View Post
    Just seen your Flikr mbriscoe and realised you have been to Loch Ewe and its many treasures.
    The museum has a WWII week in May every year, the year I went there was a guided walk around some of the defences.

There is a small booklet available in the area but there is a more comprehensive book on it's role with the RN in WWI and WWII.

I am sure there is more to discover in the area. Nothing is known about this site. There was a WT station near the coast road towards the lighthouse from Gairloch that I did not see.

I was recently going through WWII Admiralty War Diaries and some interesting information on the loch that I have not been back through.

The museum has a WWII week in May every year, the year I went there was a guided walk around some of the defences.

There is a small booklet available in the area but there is a more comprehensive book on it's role with the RN in WWI and WWII.

I am sure there is more to discover in the area. Nothing is known about this site. There was a WT station near the coast road towards the lighthouse from Gairloch that I did not see.

I was recently going through WWII Admiralty War Diaries and some interesting information on the loch that I have not been back through.
    That is interesting to know thank you, I will keep my ear to the ground about any guided walks. The book you suggested earlier will soon be in my collection. Do you happen to know the title of the one about loch Ewe?
    I would gave tried to get round the main sites on loch Ewe last week but with the snow and high winds it wasn't ideal.

Sadly the 680 mile drive from home means that I don't get up there often, and the lodgings I use are up for sale so when that goes, so may my visits.

Lossiemouth is somewhere I want to have a good look too, if only I had known about the costal defences whenI lived in Inverness.

On another note, the beach at fortrose appears to gave a lot of rusted old metal/reinforced concrete along it. Do you know if that was war related or just beach protection?

Some nice organisation has cut the bramble bushes down that surround the Christchurch anti-tank defence 'island'.
    This is a strip of land alongside the railway line between the River Stour and the River Avon in Christchurch.
    The idea being that if the Germans invaded, Christchurch was a strategic point to separate the East from the West. A last holding point if you will, to slow the progress of the Germans monopolising on the south coast.

This has given a great opportunity to take some photographs of the pillbox and anti tank blocks. (It was either the water company or network rail that did it I think, because they are both carrying out works adjacent to the site.)

The anti-tank line alongside the railway line:

The Pillbox entrance:

The side:

Against the railway fence is an open port, which I just managed to get my camera in. You can see the reason why the box is boarded up.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Finally the light of day! When I was on BD we spent most of our time on jobs clearing away the overgrowth to be able to access the ground. Farmers and the Forestry Commission loved us!

I like that modern-day version of the WW2 unclimable fence......

The ones at Lossiemouth are worth a visit, the survey of the site by AOC Archaeology is very good but not sure if it can be downloaded anywhere.
    I have this map/drawing, have had it for a few years and can't remember where I dropped it from.
    Lossie-Coastal Guns.jpg

EDIT: The uploader software for the site has "shrunk" the image, at full size it's actually 2600 X 1838 and is very clear. If anyone wants a full size copy then let me know and I'll PM it over to you.
    Last edited by Walrus75; 04-03-2015 at 23:51.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

Thread Information