Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Link Trainer Building

Default Re: Link Trainer Buildings

the Link Trainer at Parham has 3 rooms,the third must have been added on slightly later ,if you look inside you can see where the original 2 rooms have been added to . The building has been used in more recent times as a variety of workshops

inside the building one of the internal dividing doors had been used to wipe dirty paint brushes on many times over the years,then a strange spotted mould had formed over it . An American guy who was into modern Art got very interested in the central door panel and he removed it to take home and frame it up !
    Last edited by corij; 14-04-2012 at 18:34.

Default Re: Link Trainer Buildings

The flooring went a few years back apparently which is a shame.
    Yeah that is the kind of type which would have been installed in the building .W3ell 2 of them as it is a 2 bay link trainer building.
    That type shown in the picture above is early type as it has the zip compartment sides when the next 40,s version was a sliding door.
    I currently have a c3 version in my workshop which i am rebuilding to running condition .Another few weeks and she should be up and running.Great pieces of kit to work on and pretty complicated for the 1940,s.
    Mine is about 1943.

Default Link Trainer

Where can I buy a Link Trainer, I cannot afford one but my four year old Grandson has a washing basket with cardboard wings, a joy stick, a pillow to sit on and asked if I could take it outside so he could fly it. Yes he meant it 'He wanted to fly it'. So the closest is to buy him a Link Trainer. There is one at RAF Davidstowmoor, RAF museum which I saw at the weekend and Brooklands has I believe an almost complete one.

Well dream on Granddad, I would like to make him something small enough to fit indoors and feel a bit plane like????

Andy.jpg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_rPh...feature=relmfu his favorite film.

Default Re: Link Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Drew View Post
    Where can I buy a Link Trainer...I cannot afford one
    No problem Richard - buy one in instalments.

http://linktrainers.com/WebPages/details

I did see that website thanks, they looks great I might try and make one around his trike?

How was your visit to Davidstow Richard ? I was there last Monday and it was very bleak.

It was very bleak, even the birds wen't flying. The little RAF museum was warm though.

There is one for sale in the newark area if you are interested.
    One did sell on ebay last year which was the fuselage only and that was nearly 500 so i dont know how much this other is but it is complete but i dont know if it is in workling condition.
    One thing though ,They are great to fly and can certinly make your stomach move around

I am just doing a bit more research on the subject of Link Trainers and I came across this article:

"At the beginning of the Second World War, because of the fear of bombing raids on our cities, cinemas and theatres were shut. The companies who had relied on supplying theatre equipment had to seek alternative work. The firm of Fitups Ltd. of Manchester (later to become Watts & Corry Ltd.) was in 1940 operating with the north of England branch of Strand Electric (later to become Rank Strand Electric). The staff of these two firms included joiners, scenic artists, draughtsmen, engineers and electricians. They were versatile in their approach at finding suitable work. Representatives were sent to the Air Ministry to try and obtain camouflage work. This was not available, but a contract was won for the design and manufacture of painted scenic cycloramas for Link trainers. The target screen at Crail (Scotland) is part of the extensive Scheduled Ancient Monument on that exceptionally well-preserved Second World War airfield."

Does anyone know if there are any photographs of the scenery from Crail, or anywhere else? (I have seen the IWM photograph in the Crail section of the site)

For information purposes, the extract is from an English Heritage Article on the Preservation of a Link Trainer Building, which contains links to a 1937 Flight Magazine article on the Link Trainer and confirmation of the arrival of the trainer in 1936 and the construction of Link Trainer Buildings in 1937.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by petetres; 29-04-2013 at 13:53.

Strange But True.

With the ongoing redevelopment of the Long Kesh site I have been in contact with the MLK Committee with suggestions as to the construction of a WW2 Museum.

One of my various suggestions was the construction of a Link Trainer exhibit for ‘hands-on’ use by visitors.

I received a positive response to my suggestions but will have to wait and see what happens!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information