Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warton

Default Warton

There has been a few mentions of Warton on the forum but no thread so I thought I'd start one with this photo;

source and date unknown.

Default Re: Warton

Nice picture Richard, was that taken pre B.A.D. 2 days ?. Shame now that Burtonwood's gone we only have Warton,left.

With the runway extension I would say mid 1960's. There is a nice aerial on this site http://mario.lancashire.gov.uk/ from the 1960's. You have to zoom in before you can switch to aerial though.

Lt Cmdr, I am not sure when it was taken, I would guess the same as PNK at the 1960's but not sure for definate

Used to fly in there in 125's in my BAe days. Terrible place for birds, I remember. River estuaries & airfields have always been uneasy bedfellows.

Flew into Warton in May 1961 in a Canberra from IAM Farnborough, as I was sat in the rear next to the Nav, there was only a small window above my head so I could not see a lot, remember the hard turn over the Ribble Estuary, rather put the wind up me.

Robin.

This is an extract from a NARA/Footnote.com picture of Warton's watch office. Two things stood out and wondered if anyone could provide any info.

1) The bike on the left is clearly motorised and includes mudguards. It still looks like a bicycle so a maybe it is a motorbike or moped. Anyone know what make it was and were they common at that time?

2) The strange looking, multi faceted thingy by the other bike look familiar but I can't place it. Anyone put me out of my misery?

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a James Autocycle PNK, it had a 98cc Villiers engine.

The more I look at that ...thing, the more I wonder why it was up against the cycles, and why someone thought it was significant to take a photo of it!

Totally convinced that the light motorbike is a James Autocycle though. I actually had one of those when I was ten. The first motorised plaything I learned to ride on a field at the back of the house.

The strange thing looks a little like a Ju88/Do217 nose LOL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information