Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warton

Default Re: Warton

i was at warton 10 site on summer camp duty for the auxilliaries when they came for their fortnights summer camps duties
    10 site was a domestic site where we lived in nissan huts with the doors hanging on by a thread as a result of the p1
    later named the lightning going thru the sound barrier, that would be about 1956.
    i worked up in what i think was called blackhorse lane, a radar unit, i was there as a teleprinter op. it was mad busy
    had two incoming msges daily one in the morning and one in the afternoon and in three months only ever sent one msge
    and that was back to leeming advising them of my return date.
    warton was the only place i ever got paid in bed. did a stint on fire watch at blackhorse lane all night then went to bed
    and woke up by a sergeant , and two officers saying its alright lad stay where you are, its only your pay
    eh what a life it was

hi pnk, i remember these "bikes" quite clearly, they were very common in the fifties when i was a teenager and cyclist,
    they were called autobikes but i dont know who made them or anything about the engines. the rider had to pedal
    like the clappers to get them started and if they hit an incline had to pedal to assist the engine. i chased after a policeman
    who was riding one and had no lights, he pulled me the night before said i had no light till i showed the dynamo . when i pulled him he shot down a sidestreet hope this of some help

Great stuff leemingboy. Sometime after my original post I recalled seeing a restored motorised bike. Can't recall where or if it was the same type.

am i misunderstanding something here, but i would say that aircraft is a canberra, a relative of mine was killed
    in a canberra taking off from an airfield in germany

Default Re: RAF Freckleton / Lytham (Warton)

sorry, i didnt know your father but i was stationed for a short while at warton and worked at a radar station in heyhouses lane lytham, i was there for three months upto september 1956 and remember only too well the p1 (lightning) and the holes
    in our nissan hut door were testimony to the times it went through the sound barrier, we could see daylight through
    the cracks

Warton and Samlesbury are going to be made part of an enterprise zone. From what I read in the paper a couple of firms have said they are pleased as it means they have access to a secure runway. Im wondering if this means BAE will let the runway be used by other aviation firms, but could it mean the end for Blackpool airport?

i would have guessed that if bae had been able to they would have tried to package woodford as machesters 2nd airport.

Default Where? Bitteswell? Dunsfold? Filton? or somewhere else?

From the collection of Nigel Bailey-Underwood

Default Re: Where? Bitteswell? Dunsfold? Filton? or somewhere else?

Warton I would say, looks like the British Aircraft Corporation factory sheds in the distance.
    I think the Jags could be development aircraft S06 & S07.

SuperMod

Default Re: Where? Bitteswell? Dunsfold? Filton? or somewhere else?

As said by MM - Warton.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information