Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Aldermaston

Default Re: Aldermaston

Quote Originally Posted by REF View Post
    Having just spent a while looking at the flashearth link for Aldermaston on another thread it looks like there are some original buildings still there, does anyone who what is left? Is the Tower still standing?
    You can still see it on GE:-

Aldermaston.jpg

Default Re: RAF Aldermaston

I'd be interested in these too. I am a member of the RMARG group at RAF Welford.

Quote Originally Posted by airfields man View Post

A couple of photographs loaned to me from the Hotel. The above painting hangs in the porchway.
    The Aldermaston Court photograph 1970's This shows the buildings supporting the Merlin reactor which was demolished in the 1960's nothing to do with AWE or the Airfield

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbyabbey View Post
    Any Historians out there want some photos of Aldermaston? They are large format (mostly 10 x 8") and are of Waco Gliders, C-47's, Spits, Hurricanes and Horsas. Plus one aerial shot from the 1990's. They were donated to the Nuthampstead Airfield Museum, but obviously it's not something we'd want to use for there. So, trying to find a home for them. A small donation to the NAM project would be appreciated, but I shan't insist.
    PM me and the first to do so get's the photos mailed to them, or I'm happy for them to be collected.
    (thumbnails attached)
    Russ
    BTW - all have the MOD stamp on the back.
    Attachment 6263Attachment 6264Attachment 6265Attachment 6266Attachment 6267Attachment 6268Attachment 6269
    The photographs the C47 towing a glider yes; The hangar is hangar 5 putting the Spitfires together this was off site now gone; Hurricanes No; spitfires unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    The photographs the C47 towing a glider yes; The hangar is hangar 5 putting the Spitfires together this was off site now gone; Hurricanes No; spitfires unlikely
    CG-4 glider has Roundels not Aldermaston The Horsa had Roundels on from Aldermaston

Default Re: Aldermaston

Quote Originally Posted by airfields man View Post
    The ATC were in the building next door. I was told that Glenn Miller played to the base personnel in this building. But checking his list of base visits I can see no mention of a stop at Aldermaston.
    Glen Miller played at Greenham common and later in the evening at the corn exchange Newbury but alas not at Aldermaston

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information