Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theale

Default Theale

It is well known that most of what used to be the grass airfield at RAF Theale was gravel extracted during the course of building the M4. It is now a water-sports venue.
    Across the road from Theale to Sheffield Bottom was the Technical Site. There were several corrugated iron (T2?) hangars. The last one was used for many years by a freight distribution firm. That has now gone; to be replaced by the usual Business Park.
    Thus there is nothing to show there was an airfield there - except the Theale-Sheffield Bottom road which was called Station Road is now - I think - called Hangar Road.
    I have a photo of the last hangar before it was pulled down (or fell down!!!). Does anyone have any pix of RAF Theale in its glory?. Also of Sulhamstead House (just over a mile from RAF Theale) which was used for the Ground Instruction phases of the FTS (and now the Training School for Thames Valley Police).
    TIA
    Resmoroh

Default Re: RAF Theale

I think they were Bellman or T1 hangars, possibly T1 - I too have a picture of it.

Tks yr reply! As long as it's in somebody's else's archives that's all that matters.
    Resmoroh

Resmorogh, don't suppose you managed to photograph the ROF at Theale? Where they manufactured 20mm cannon shells for the ROF at Burghfield by any chance?

I regret that I never photographed the ROF at Theale whilst the building was still standing. The site it stood on is now part of yet another Business Park. It probably fronted on to what is now Brunel Road next to Theale railway station. It might even have extended a bit further down Brunel Road to where some wine distribution firm grows (on the south facing slope of its front garden!) a fair crop of grapes - swords into ploughshares? The local Newbury Rag may have some pix.
    If you are looking for unrecorded stuff in that area then HQ 42 Group, Maintenance Command, was at some fairly big house in Burghfield Common. Supposedly, in the cellars of that house, one can still see the RAF Bar Officer's chalked-up figures on the walls - but I've never verified this.
    Further, and appropos the Theale ROF. A large number of houses were built for the workers at the Theale ROF. These are along what is now Blossom Avenue (and, possibly, some other Theale locations). The walls of some of these houses were not simply breeze-block, or brick, but are solid reinforced concrete to serve as an infantry strong-point for any attack from the north. Remember, the R Pang/Sulham Valley (between Reading/Calcot and Theale) was thought, at the time, to be a likely route for any German forces landing on the South Coast heading north to their easiest crossing of the Thames at Pangbourne before hooking east to take London from the north. If the Pang Valley had been in German hands then Theale would have had to have been defended from the north as well as other directions. If these defendable houses are of any interest to anyone I have a contact who lives either in one, or next door.
    HTH
    Resmoroh

Yes they are of interest - would it be poss to post a pic on here?. I noticed too, driving from Reading to Burghfield that there is a defended house at a road junction near Burghfield: See Google Earth

"Defended Building at Burghfield" lat=51.430638, lon=-1.023265

Here again are the photographs that I posted a while ago but somehow disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by norwichpaul View Post
    Yes they are of interest - would it be poss to post a pic on here?. I noticed too, driving from Reading to Burghfield that there is a defended house at a road junction near Burghfield: See Google Earth

That is HERE. Pictures here

Interesting place.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by norwichpaul View Post

A couple that I took today 5-07-2010.

Default Re: Theale

I've been going along this road for years, both directions and have never taken any notice of this house,didn't know these kind of houses existed!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information