Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uxbridge

Default Uxbridge

RAF Uxbridge Plotting Room

RAF Uxbridge is still very active although due to close in two years but the WW2 bunker has been Grade 1 listed and should be safe. Photography on our trip was strictly controlled outside the bunker and the tour only lasted just over an hour, which was a bit rushed to for photography inside the bunker. The bunker was built in 7 months only being completed 10 days before hostilities broke out and was in use until 1958. The bunker was restored in the 1970ís to how it was on September the 14th 1940. Thats all I can remember from the guide I forgot to pick up the information on the way out.

Memorial, in the background can be seen one of the ventilation stacks

Main bunker entrance

Looking up the Steps down to bunker from the halfway landing, all the service cables and pipes run down the main stairwell.

Bunker Plan

Plotting Room Table

Close up of the clock the coloured segments represent 15 minute intervals, the colour was used on the plots on the table from the 15 minute interval it came in, so the controller could see the the direction the plots where where taking in fifteen minute intervals.

The plot at 11.30 am on September the 14th

Controllerís position overlooking the plotting table this also where Churchill sat when he visited.

Default Re: RAF Uxbridge Plotting Room

The colour segments on the clock are 5 minutes!

Yes your right, can't rember why she mentioned fifteen minutes in there now.

The plot markers placed in the first 5 minutes will have red tags, the next 5 yellow and the next 5 blue.
    Hence the 15 minutes before the red tags would be used again for fresh plots.

An archived page explaining the system can be found HERE.

All the best,
    PB

Senior Member Southend Spitfire's Avatar

Default Re: RAF Uxbridge closure

The closure features on the front page of the latest edition of the RAF News , No 1246 , 9 April , 70p . It states that the 11 Group Ops Room will be taken over by English Heritage , a plaque was unveiled in memory of Douglas Bader who was hospitalised here after his double leg amputation and that the land not unsurprisingley has been sold for housing .

Nothing happening yet, just moved into married quarters on site.

Over the last 12 months DHE had been moving all personnel out of the married quarters on site, only to find that there was a big shortfall of MQ's within London District, so they have reopened the MQ's at Uxbridge. Talk about waisting money!!!! I dont know if the transit function is still in operation or not but as I have mentioned there are still personnel accommodated on site. I must say it will be a shame if/when it all goes, its q lovely little station, nice grounds and relatively peacefull, ideal for families living on site. I must go and see the 11Gp Bunker when I get a day off, have only walked by in the evenings so far!

First Uxbridge contact: Collecting ammo from the armoury when going long-range shooting with 120 ATC in the early '60s.
    Next: A few days in the RAF Hospital there in the mid-'60s. They thought I was malingering. I wasn't.
    Then: Played Rugby there several times in the early '70s whilst at Hendon.
    My brother lived in the Officers Mess there whilst working in MOD(OR) in the 80s.
    Finally - tenuous link: A former girlfriend's grandfather was 'Stiffy' Wombwell, discip officer at the RAF Depot in the 1920s. I believe there was some sort of memorial plaque to him at Uxbridge.
    P.S. My niece's husband is REME & was at Hounslow Barracks 2 yrs ago - it was still dreary & crumbling.

collecting arms and ammunition was my first visit to Uxbridge. The night the americans were en route to bomb Libya, London district went to lock down. I was the chief tech ic the rehab workshop at headley plod at my MQ door stupid o clock report to conf room but that's another story

ted

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information