Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Uxbridge

Default Re: RAF Uxbridge closure

LOL! Seriously though I dont believe anything is happening on site. All that appears to be in use are the accommodation blocks and the WO & NCO's Mess. All "Real estate" is empty, the 25m barrack range has been collapsed. No11 Gp bunker museum is still open, RAFP maintain a presence on site. Groundkeepers have been in recently mowing sports pitches etc however this is in line with general care and maintanence.

Over the last 12 months DHE had been moving all personnel out of the married quarters on site, only to find that there was a big shortfall of MQ's within London District, so they have reopened the MQ's at Uxbridge. Talk about waisting money!!!! I dont know if the transit function is still in operation or not but as I have mentioned there are still personnel accommodated on site. I must say it will be a shame if/when it all goes, its q lovely little station, nice grounds and relatively peacefull, ideal for families living on site. I must go and see the 11Gp Bunker when I get a day off, have only walked by in the evenings so far!

First Uxbridge contact: Collecting ammo from the armoury when going long-range shooting with 120 ATC in the early '60s.
    Next: A few days in the RAF Hospital there in the mid-'60s. They thought I was malingering. I wasn't.
    Then: Played Rugby there several times in the early '70s whilst at Hendon.
    My brother lived in the Officers Mess there whilst working in MOD(OR) in the 80s.
    Finally - tenuous link: A former girlfriend's grandfather was 'Stiffy' Wombwell, discip officer at the RAF Depot in the 1920s. I believe there was some sort of memorial plaque to him at Uxbridge.
    P.S. My niece's husband is REME & was at Hounslow Barracks 2 yrs ago - it was still dreary & crumbling.

collecting arms and ammunition was my first visit to Uxbridge. The night the americans were en route to bomb Libya, London district went to lock down. I was the chief tech ic the rehab workshop at headley plod at my MQ door stupid o clock report to conf room but that's another story

ted

Default Historic approval for RAF Uxbridge

Historic approval for RAF Uxbridge

Taken from the Uxbridge Gazzette
    http://www.uxbridgegazette.co.uk/wes...3046-28049849/

THE first steps in securing a historic planning approval for RAF Uxbridge were granted last night. (Monday)

Councillors thrashed out planning conditions for 1,340 homes, a primary school, shops, and a theatre, at a two hour meeting.

This was preceded by a three and a half hour meeting in December, leading planning chairman Councillor John Hensley to declare the monumental town centre extension as 'a record for the time spent considering a single application.'

The project, which is likely to take more than 10 years to complete, will change the face of Uxbridge extensively, and the whole borough.

Colin Darby, planning manager of VSM Estates, the land owners, and co-ordinators of Project MODel, tasked with bringing Ministry of Defence sites back into community use, and receiving much needed profit, said he was 'delighted' with the approval.

The councillors have given the go-ahead for a hybrid scheme, with several specific points still required to be revisited a various stages by councillors.

When the scheme was announced in 2006 Mr Darby admits 'the world was a different place' prior to the global recession, and estimated profits on the homes have not materialised. The original planning application was for 1,425 homes, rather than 1,340.

As a result VSM Estates have not been able to meet the London target for 50 per cent of the homes to be affordable housing, only being able to commit to 15 per cent. Hillingdon have nevertheless accepted the application, realising in this financial climate VSM have already been squeezed to their limit. A clause has been inserted into the agreement allowing for the percentage to be increased if the market picks up.

In 2006 it was conceived that the project could be completed by 2017, but it seems even then, parts of the work will only just be beginning.

The highest building will be one six storey housing block, but many houses will be just that, family houses with back gardens backing onto several acres of district park.

A considerable amount of work will have to go into renovating junctions near the site, especially St Andrews roundabout, Uxbridge. The subway underneath the roundabout will be opened up and enhanced to link the site to the current town centre.

One unique and controversial feature is sure to be a fob-controlled barrier limiting access to Vine Lane, after complaints by residents that the route could be used as a rat-run for drivers.

New residents, and emergency services will be the only people able to open the barrier.

Transport for London could yet throw a spanner in the works, having objected to the amount of car parking spaces, believing it to be too much, although Hillingdon's councillors believe plans to be perfectly reasonable, and any reduction would only push cars into existing surrounding roads.

They can make their feelings felt when the project is to be rubberstamped, and possibly held back, by the Greater London Authority later this month. Council Leader Ray Puddifoot is to write personally to Mayor of London Boris Johnson to ask him to waive regulations as RAF Uxbridge is a special case.

What do you think the scheme will mean for Uxbridge? E-mail editorialuxbridge@trinitysouth.co.uk

RAF Uxbridge by numbers
    44 hectares of land
    1340 homes
    77 bed care home
    2099 car park spaces
    20,000 square metres of retail and office space
    90 bed hotel
    1200 seat theatre
    45 acres of open space

The historic features of the development
    Hillingdon House will be renovated, with the ground floor to open as a restaurant.
    The bunker will remain as a museum.
    The cinema will also remain for community use.
    One barrack block will be converted to housing.
    The spitfire will remain.

Default Re: Historic approval for RAF Uxbridge

The WW2 ops room bunker is currently closed for refurbishment and should reopen in the first week of April. As an ex Air defence Operator (1958 - 1984) I am really looking forward to visiting it very soon.

Default ARG Visit 18 April 2012

A few shots follow from a very enjoyable visit arranged by ARG. Many thanks to the organisers for such making the trip possible.

Default Re: RAF Uxbridge, Middlesex

Here are a few photos I took on the day.

1 - Hillingdon House

2 - The group assemble in the rain before heading down into the bunker

3 - UNITER Building

4 - RAF Uxbridge Memorial

5 - Spitfire outside the bunker

6 - RAF Uxbridge Station Commanders Board

7 - View of the Plotting Room

8 - View of the Plotting Room

9 - View of the Plotting Room
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 31-10-2012 at 19:50.

Default Re: ARG Group Visits Spring 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber boy View Post
    Uxbridge Battle of Britain Bunker Museum.

What a hidden gem that place is!! After a torturous 3 hour journey to get there, albeit late, sorry, we really enjoyed our tour round there. Most certainly worth every penny of the £5 fee. We personally opted for lunch after at the Ace Cafe as we had already been to Hendon just a few months prior with the kids.

We hope to see you all on more trips as and when we can.

Thanks to Chris who i believe was the organiser.

Tony.
    Cheers Tony. REF kick started it earlier this year and we took it from there really! Glad folks managed to get there (yes, we were the last to arrive after a quick unscheduled tour of downtown Uxbridge) and it seems we all really enkiyed it. Yes, a cracking little gem of museum and superb talk.

Chris

Senior Member Southend Spitfire's Avatar

Default Re: ARG Group Visits Spring 2012

It was really worth going to the Battle of Britain Bunker at Uxbridge, im glad i went there.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information