Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Broadwell

Default Re: Broadwell

Ah it was Brian Martin, ARG member of long ago. I wonder if he is still with us, his article in the book is a great read, very nostalgic.

Brian. sad to say, passed on a few years ago. He had a lot of airfield research material, much of it WW1, and I encouraged his wife to donate it to the archive which she did, I understand. Brian was too much of a perfectionist to publish very much. He always thought that there was more to a story and kept on searching for the last pieces of the jigsaw that never seemed to be forthcoming. And yes, I loved that little Broadwell story too.

Thanks for that Dave, his passing makes the story even more poignant. If we ever get round to re-publishing the book, I will make sure that, that story stays with the new book.

Just a couple of little warnings about Broadwell.
    1. the landowners on the south side (south of the public footpath) react badly to folk walking down the lanes there that were formerly the
    remainder of the instrument (6000ft) runway and taxiways. The farmer on the north side is more tolerant.
    2. There are numerous open drains down all of the runway sides, including the public footpath one. (I recently had a dog - no dog situation
    there, resulting in injured spaniel being retrieved from 4ft drain by the collar. You can't see some until you are on top of them.

also a question....
    There are some small concrete blocks still in situ down the edge of the runway about 18" x 10" with an elongated racetrack-shaped hole
    in the top. Are these Drem bases or gooseneck stands, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by ebno View Post
    There are some small concrete blocks still in situ down the edge of the runway about 18" x 10" with an elongated racetrack-shaped hole
    in the top. Are these Drem bases or gooseneck stands, or what?
    Post 114 here shows a Drem Mk.2 'C6' flarepath fitting - which will be what you've found. Pity they're empty! They should be at 100 yard intervals.

Graham

Empty C6 fitting to illustrate:

All the best,
    PB

I understand that a road was built near to the main runway and through the old airfield. Does anyone have any idea when this was actually built?

Thanks

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

A 1940s map indicates that a minor road running in from the NW and turning S existed before the airfield was built. Post-war, the road was reinstated but re-routed slightly to use part of the NW/SE runway so take your pick!

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    A 1940s map indicates that a minor road running in from the NW and turning S existed before the airfield was built. Post-war, the road was reinstated but re-routed slightly to use part of the NW/SE runway so take your pick!

Sorry but do you have any idea of the date the post war road was built?

It was built sometime between 1960 and 1971. That's as good as I can give you.

The road isn't on any of the 1945-1957 aerial photo's I have and it's not on the 1960 Edition 1:10,560 scale OS map. It does appear on the 1971 Edition 1:2,500 scale map though.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information