Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitteswell

Default Re: Bitteswell

Here's a few more of my old Bitteswell pics. Excuse the picture quality as they were taken on a very cheap camera as the sun was setting. The colour ones were taken around 1999/2000 not too long before the last few remaining buildings were demolished. -

Peri track??, Hardstanding??? I can't remember now. All i do know is that it's defitnetly gone now! -

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by stevie; 09-08-2011 at 12:35.

Hi Stevie
    My father was a fireman for British Aerospace at Bitteswell till it closed in the eighties. Certain ive seen some pics lying around of the airfield at mums house , will try and dig them out and post them on here , Also there is a small lane runs around airfield on thewest side, there are some kind of shelters in a farmers field along there
    Rich

I worked at Bitteswell from 1970 to 1976. I recently started to search for info on the Aerodrome and that is what brought me here. I have been harvesting images and info ( not for profit ) and have put a fair bit on a Facebook page called " Bitteswell " . Can I invite members to view this Facebook page and if you can add any images or further info , I would be most greatful. Having found so very little on the net , I felt there was real need to record this historic aerodrome, particularly as it has now perished for ever. My Father also worked for AWA at Baginton and at Bitteswell and I have a very interesting photgraphic archive of the days when he was based at RAF Sealand in Flintshire. There are some unique images, including the occasion when American transatlantic flyer, Wiley Post landed there. Paul.

Here's a few shots of Bitteswell sent to me by ARG member Nigel Bailey Underwood. Taken in the days when the place still looked like an airfield, which certainly couldn't be said of the site today -

Cheers
    Steve

Many thanks for all your remarks and the images. Facebook can be a bit of a minefield but one does not need to register to view the Bitteswell pages. The page is " open " and should be accessable to all. There is so much on there now that it would be a little impracticle to post it all here... I am still trying to track down colleagues from my time there and even after some 35 years I have managed to at least recall 30 odd names although some may be playing their Argosy Harps by now. I see the above image is dated 1985 and ssume that it refers to the post HSA/BAe days when there was a preserved aircraft collection at Bitteswell, Actually, the pair of hangars in the background are Hangar 5 and 6 on what we called " the old site ". hangar 6 was my department , The Paint Shop.

Scanned newspaper article sent to me by Nigel Bailey-Underwood

They built the Disney Store Warehouse right accross runway 01. It greaves me . All the history that was made there in what was only a few short years. Wellington Bomber training, Lancaster assembly, Whittle's power jets, plus an unsung hero, Maj. Hugh Quentin Alleyne Reeves who was killed at Bitteswell by being sucked into a jet engine while testing a muffler he had designed for it. Blimey.This guy desrves a memorial.. :0/

I remember flying over Bitteswell in 1992 in an Auster from Leicester East and a section of one of the runways still existed until a big warehouse brought it to a premature ending.I wonder if thats the Disney Store that you mentioned Woodstock? There was no other Runways left from what i remember at that time (September 1992).

Cheers
    Steve

Hi Steve... and seasons greetings to you and all who read this page ! Re the Disney warehouse. if you look at a current google sat map , it's the third structure down , on the right. Bitteswell fans may be interested that on Pathe' there is some monochrome footage of the flying Wing ( glider and jet ) and it is most certainly Bitteswell, even though it claims to be Baginton. I can clearly see hangars 1 to 6 in the background and inm thwe case of the Glider Flying Wing, it is actually " wheeled " accross the road from the old site on to the airfield ( you can see an engineer looking left and right for traffic ! ). Some of the footage has sound... you can even hear the voiceover call it " Bittsfield " !!

Thanks again to all who have responded to my posts. Can I ask you all to " have faith " and type in the following link. You will not have to register. No one will know you have visited ( but if you do, then you can contribute if you wish ! ) You will not find any strange people there. It is simply a page for anyone interested in Bitteswell from the days that it was farmland right up to Magna Park. It's all part of the story of this short lived but historic site. Please " linger no longer " but go immediately to Facebook . that will take you straight in with immediate clearance to land ! There are about 180 images relating to Bitteswell and lots of posts and yarns. Please feel free to harvest anything that may be of interest and to add anything that you may wish.

I had a visit to the site over the new year and was lucky to meet the site manager , Mr Roy Davies. Roy very kindly gave me several photographs along with an A.W.A. drawing of the aerodrome showing the " projected " layout for what became known as " The New Site " . This drawing is a fantastic mine of information and I am currently thinking about the best way to make it available to researchers. Get thee to Facebook and enjoy ! Paul.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information