Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Perton

Default Perton

Hello'
    is the control tower still on perton somebody said it was...i walked on this airfield in 1975 june.
    hangers were there filled with straw farmers. and runaways too.i tried to imagine defiants running down this field..
    what a great site must have been.
    terry
    Last edited by Carnaby; 08-02-2011 at 00:45. Reason: Title amended as thread is now general

SuperMod

Default Re: perton control

I visited a few years ago but it seemed to have been obliterated under a new-ish housing development. There is a memorial though by the local shops. I don't remember finding any surviving structures anywhere.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PJH
    I visited a few years ago but it seemed to have been obliterated under a new-ish housing development. There is a memorial though by the local shops. I don't remember finding any surviving structures anywhere.

Peter
    Hello;Peter.
    as to buildings there was one or 2 as far back as 1984 on side roads.yes bulit on ''houses.i think may be still there.
    I did to take photos but came out rotten. too dark.BUT VIS JUST.
    ill check again soon my grandad worked on this field 1941. but no photograpths.taken against rules.
    terry

Anyone got a picture of the memorial?

I posted a photograph of RAF Perton's memorial under Airfield memorials etc.

Quote Originally Posted by airfields man View Post
    I posted a photograph of RAF Perton's memorial under Airfield memorials etc.
    Can't find one Paul, can you post again or email me a copy. We need one for a future AR article if it's OK with you.

Cheers

Noel

Hi Noel, I have sent you a PM but for some reason it dosen't appear in my 'sent' items,section just wondered if you received this or not...

Paul, mailbox was full, deleted some messages if you want to try again.

Cheers

A general reply as to Perton's current status from your man in the field! Currently, there is nothing of the main airfield runways or peri-track after a major housing building programme that started in 1976, nearing completion ten years later. In woodland to the north of the estate lies the floor of the T2 hangar, with mounds of air-raid shelters also visible, though sadly blocked off denying the latest generation of kids the fun my mates and I had in these ready-made dens. The hangar floor now forms part of a nature trail. The Control Tower was demolished in the early 80s after serving as a church and a youth club amongst other things. Further to the north is more woodland where a firing butt once existed, where my brother and his mates went digging for shells; it is long gone now, though. There do exist overgrown track marks of the old Dutch Camp roads, with a collapsed concrete structure we called the Seven Rooms, its name sometimes confused with an underground maze further away known locally as the Seven Jails, no doubt also with a wartime origin. In this woodland are numerous brick foundations of other buildings too. To the west lies an old road that leads to the former RAF Camp at Cranmoor Farm. Along its length lies a large concrete shed now used for farm storage, with wooden doors that appear to be painted in an old airforce blue now faded. At the Camp up to a year ago sat a crumbling mess hall, ops block, and other buildings. The whole area has since been redeveloped with the buildings converted into new homes (currently available for sale on the Berriman Eaton Estate Agent website). Close by is another building that remains in its original derelict state. They have also put up a large display board showing the original RAF airfield plan, and it is situated on the public footpath there. I have a substantial collection of photos, maps, press cutting, and other paraphernalia relating to the airfield and its development into the modern village we know today, and I am always happy to show it to anyone who might be interested. I am also very keen to look at any old photos of Perton that people may have.
    Last edited by Carnaby; 24-10-2010 at 13:10.

Useful information, PcGugs - and welcome to the forum.

Sorry you had trouble with posting - seems OK now - I've tidied things up.

Graham

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information