Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FC Construction (Oakington) Pillbox

Moderator and ARG Trustee

Default Re: Airfield Defence types - FC Construction Pillbox - Oakington

Well the one above seems to have a circular central brick wall to allow the well in the middle, while still providing sufficient support for a cantilever arrangement?

But no I agree it's still very far from an FC. The banking of the earth suggests that it was never intended for outwards defence, only upwards.

No I agree its not an FC but it has the familiar shape and obviously the right period.

Moderator and ARG Trustee

Indeed the ribbed roof supports for instance.

[QUOTE=norwichpaul;24525]Some of the FCs have a square-shaped window-like opening in the brick skirting for a 'boys' anti-tank rifle (I think). QUOTE]

There are a few pics of the pillboxes at Oakington on an urbex forum and a bit of guessing about the concrete weights which all appear to be in the same position in the pillboxes (in front of the wall cutout).

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main...d.php?p=134352

Are they part of a weapon counter-balance or just tie down weights thrown in?

After a trip to Oakington this weekend, I noticed some of the pillboxes still have gun mounts also one of these has what can only be described as a stanton next to it, they are connected by a tunnel, however the shelter has cubicle for toilets and is double ended, i'll post some pics later.

Heres the location:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.27....6&r=0&src=msl
    Last edited by Jerry; 09-08-2010 at 11:39.

Alec Beanse

Quote Originally Posted by PNK View Post
    These are the same "Mushroom" pillboxs at North Weald. The first 1972 and the second 1975. I can't remember the exact location but they were near where the M11 is now and south of the road that used to run east west.
    The first one is on the east side of Church Lane and the second is in the field opposite the southern end of the N/S runway, south side of the NW - Epping road.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

I have seen a couple of references to Cantilivered Pillboxes (5 off) located at RAF Honeybourne in Worcestershire but no evidence to support the claim. One statement is here and I should like to correct it if required:

http://www.pastscape.org/hob.aspx?ho...ordsperpage=10

Still on Cantilevered types. There are five recorded at Peterhead (Grampian) on the D of B database. I vaguely remember that these were unique (?) in that the all round viewing slot had been bricked up leaving only two embrasures possibly due to the 1941 (?) instruction to thicken PBs and reduce the number of embrasures as defence against German anti-tank guns. Anyone got pictures?

Comments?

According to the RSP of Honeybourne, it had a series of interlinked FC construction pillboxes which rather defeats the object of them unless their 360 degree field of fire was restricted by brickwork to stop the gunners from shooting at each other.

I believe that is the sole function of the brickwork placed inside the 360 degree opening is to prevent the gunnerrs from shooting at the next defence position. This brickwork is only 9 in thick and would not stand up to much. There are several at Oakington like this, but the problem there is that the pillboxes were messed around with by the army units stationed there, so its difficult to say whether the additional brickwok is modern or WWII.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Thanks Paul, it looks then, as if all the Cantilevered PBs at Honeybourne have been demolished.

I take your point on bricked up viewing slot; even two thicknesses of brick would not resist machine gun fire for long it would need good quality concrete.

What was the location of the Honeybourne PBs (compass)?

Hinton in the Hedges and Clyffe peppard photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2369031...7626977451794/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information