Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Archaeology of Airfields - Bob Clarke

Default The Archaeology of Airfields - Bob Clarke

The Archaeology of Airfields - Bob Clarke
    Paperback: 224 pages
    Publisher: The History Press (1 Dec 2007)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 0752444018
    ISBN-13: 978-0752444017

I have just received in the post from Amazon this morning this book. Having flicked through the pages on first impression it looks like a thoroughly good book covering aspects of the changing face of airfields. there are some great photos in it as well.
    Last edited by tigger; 01-11-2012 at 16:02.

On the subject of spelling, this book has more spelling mistakes than I've seen for a long time.

Lemella hangars, Costal Command, Nordon bombsite, plus some 30 or so
    misspelled airfields, e.g. Arbroth, Turnhill, Neatheravon.

There is a photo of a Lamella, which sadly is an 'E' type.

Some of the information has come from Wikipedia, hence we find that Skipton and Tilstock were FIDO sites. (They certainly were not.)

We also have Brigg as an airfield in 1 group (no such station).

It's a good read, but mistakes like these are unacceptable, there are many authorities on the subject who could have proof read this document and improved it no end.

An opportunity lost.

As mentioned above I was somewhat appalled at the number of errors in this publication. A few hours work by an accomplished reader would have eliminated most of them.

Spelling / typos with page numbers.
    Neatheravon (14, 41, 60, 91), Ballyliffin (20), Llangfni (25), Laria (25), Farseley (29), Weston-on-the-green (54), ADBG (71), North Coates Fittes (72), Turnhill (74,75), Lacarno Treaty (80), Hells Mouth (84), Lemella (86), Costal Command (99), Pembury (108), Turn Hill (109, 121), Limavardy (120), Stornaway (120), Holme upon Spalding Moor (116, 130), St Athans (118), Elsham Wold (130), Arbroth (132), Operation Gomorra (136), Faldinworth (137), Nuthamstead (142), Nordon Bomb Sight (142), thirty-seven MU (167), Bruntingthorp (170), Thor MRBM, (177), Macrihanish (185), Pershaw (185), Seakings (195), Bassingbourne (208)
    Factual Errors
    (83) Harwell is actually due south of Abingdon.
    (91) The hangar is an E type, not a Lamella.
    110 Pevensey and Poling are not airfields. Limpness airfield = no such place (Lympne perhaps ?)
    (121) South Cerney was not an ASU.
    (137) Brigg was not an airfield. The only establishment which existed there was 209 MU at Broughton Wood, and was never part of 13 Base.
    (137) Sturgate and Ingham were satellites of Hemswell. The latter reported to Bawtry.
    (137) No.11 Base in mid 1944 was HQ Lindholme, plus Blyton and Sandtoft. Swinderby was in 5 Group as 51 Base from March 1943 to Nov 44 when it became 7 Group.
    (138) West Hartlepool was never a major site, as was virtually defunct by Dec 1943.
    (139) 6 Group Croft is substantially to the east of Middleton, not west. Dalton is just south of Topcliffe, not 10 miles east.
    (154) Skipton and Tilstock were never FIDO stations.

The above represents major errors, there is also a number of confusing maps and statements, e.g.

ALG Map page 156 very confusing 25 sites, names scattered bearing little relation to the sites.
    (180) Barnham was a gas weapon store true, but it was principally a major conventional (HE) Forward Ammunition Depot.

What we have now is a book which could have become a valued reference manual, however owing to the large number of errors it must be regarded with suspicion. An attempt to contact the publisher failed as Tempus Publishing appear to have gone to the wall and are now part of the History Press.

Default Re: The Archaeology of Airfields - Bob Clarke

Serious then?

Chaps,

Not my finest hour I can tell you! The story is long and tedious involving a slack pre-submission read by me followed by a company not printing the post-proof but my original, uncorrected submission. Tempus went to the wall as this was being printed so I suppose the blame is 50/50. Anyway 'The History Press' are reprinting it soon and I have the text for a re-proof. I have taken note of the comments so far, any other constructive points would be greatfully received. Once again sorry for the scruffy nature of the last copy, especially to anyone who actually bought it! Just as a foot note you will be glad to hear that as Tempus went I had no royalties for it. Lesson Learned.

Best wishes Bob Clarke.

Bob: Interesting to hear from your side of the book the problems that occurred. Thank you for being brave enough to stick your head above the parapet and keep us inthe picture on what is happening.

Yes, I will second that. Very well done. Carnaby on here is an excellent proof-reader - he does a lot of my stuff.

I second that too. I bought the book and although I liked it's content I was disappointed with the errors.
    Trust your book on the JP will be OK Bob............!

Yes I should hope so. I changed publishers for a start. I have been working with my original editor (who also moved). Campbell oversaw my Cold War and Berlin Airlift books and they both ran quite nicely. JP had three reviews, one by Air Marshal Sir Dusty Miller, so one would hope that should be fine. I am awaiting copys at the moment. The problem with all this is that the author only has a limited amount of control over the process once it is submitted for print. That does not excuse a badly prepared submission on the authors part, airfield being a point in case. To give you an example 'Berlin Airlift' centres around Tempelhof however the proof reader changed all refs. to Templehof, even the cover. Luckily I caught that one!

Best wishes Bob Clarke

You need a proof reader that has knowledge of the subject!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information