Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poole, Dorset

Default Poole, Dorset

If I have got the right location this is the Reserve Fuel Depot at Poole in Dorset. This is the one destroyed by enemy action and replaced by the depot at Purton in Wiltshire.
    In the 1947 photo the bomb craters are clearly visible. I am not sure what remains in the 1999 shot but one tank is obvious, or at least the shape of it is. The others can be made out, just. I assume the remnats were buried or removed after the attack.

Default Re: Poole, Dorset

Newer pic of the bomb damaged tank, (If it will load), whole site looks pretty intact.
    Last edited by Engineer; 27-07-2009 at 01:25. Reason: u/s link.

Update. Rare pic (No 7) of a derelict pumphouse with all kit still in situ also if you adjust the exposure at least one pipeline has a 'Kerosene' tag. I assume a post war development from petrol?

http://www.adammontague.co.uk/urban-...bunkers-poole/

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Thanks engineer. I have neglected fuel sites due to other lines of research so I appreciate the info.

If the pipeline ID says 'kerosene' then it was not aviation fuel per se but could be the basis.

An intriguing site.

Damaged by bombing, replaced by Purton but all valuable plant left in situ.

From memory there was no fire resulting from the bombing so was it originally storing 'White Oils' (Kerosene) as opposed to petrol?

Did it's use continue with reduced tankage?

Would petrol catch fire in all cases? I remember the dropping a lit match into a full petrol tank expirement compared to a half full one. The first put the match out the second went boom. Or is that another urban myth? I wonder if the same principle applies to storage tanks?
    I think you have to heat or cook diesel before it ignites.

Not sure PNK, explosives have been used to extinguish as well as start fires?
    Just thought about a bomb detonating in the tank and blowing fuel and vapour everywhere, a matter of circumstances at the time I suspect, but as you say, the less volatile substances are harder to ignite.

Edit: I've now got the full sized pic of the pumphouse, some bits reinforce the suggestion that it continued in use after WW2, in who's ownership is still not clear.

The lighting with MICC cable is post war.

What appears to be an electric radiator also looks like a later addition.

Kerosene tag.

Is it possible it may have supplied jet fuel to local bases at some time post WW2?
    Last edited by Engineer; 04-01-2011 at 22:18. Reason: Added info.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Quote Originally Posted by PNK View Post
    Would petrol catch fire in all cases? I remember the dropping a lit match into a full petrol tank expirement compared to a half full one. The first put the match out the second went boom. Or is that another urban myth? I wonder if the same principle applies to storage tanks?
    I think you have to heat or cook diesel before it ignites.
    It's all to do with oxygen. Remember the 'fire triangle'. You need three thing to make fire, Fuel, Heat and Oxygen; exclude any one (or more) and there can be no fire. So, an explosive detonation inside a full spirit tank provides the heat, the spirit provides the fuel but there is no oxygen (unless the tank is ruptured)

Dropping a lighted match into (say) the full petrol tank of a car, the flame provides the heat, the petrol the fuel but any space above the petrol level is full of petrol- rich vapour, again, no oxygen. If the tank is not full, then any space above the petrol level will contain a vapour mix of petrol and air, dependent on the ratio it could have enough oxygen to sustain a flame and....boom.

It used to be a regulation that, when carrying vehicles or engine powered ground equipment in military aircraft, that the tanks were full since that was seen to present less risk.

I mentioned in another thread that originally the Victor and Valiant had explosion suppression columns installed in their fuel tanks. These were sealed 'cans' of fuel stacked in columns with a line of electric detonators running through them. If an incendiary projectile pierced a tank, a photo-cell sensor detected it and fired the detonators producing a fuel rich mixture in any vapour space and thereby preventing fire and explosion.

Many WW2 aircraft with petrol (gasoline) systems had a system whereby carbon dioxide from an on-board storage cylinder filled the vapour space as the tanks emptied thereby excluding oxygen from the 'fire triangle'

Hope this makes sense.

PS: Don't try dropping a lighted match into a bucket full of gasoline!!
    Last edited by PETERTHEEATER; 05-01-2011 at 09:34. Reason: Ament text

That makes perfect sense now. I should have paid attention at physics at school (also maths, chemistry, English, biology, French)

Not sure if this info for Falmouth is accurate. "it was bombed on 30th may 1944 at midmight a bomb hit one of the large tanks causing a river a of ignited petrol to run down the hillside"

Ignition (in this case) may well have been from a secondary source associated with the air raid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information