Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodley

Default Woodley

I tried to visit the Miles museum a few times in the past, only to find it shut!

Does anyone have any info or piccies pertaining to Woodley?

Default Re: Woodley

Hi I think the museum is open summer weekends, is a very interesting place.
    I grew up nearby(long after its closure) and it maybe my next book project after Blackbushe.
    Basically opened by Phillips&Powis local motorcycle dealers around 1928. Initially as a aeroclub and aircraft dealers. Then appears F.G. Miles looking to establish a a production line for his new Hawk aircraft. During the 30's the airfield and factory slowly expanded until Miles gets the contract for the Magister then the Master from the RAF. By then end of the war around 5000 people employed.
    There was also an RAF EFTS based from 1938 until around 1953, there were also a RAF comms flight based. The EFTS flew a succession of Magisters, Tiger Moths, and Chipmunks.
    With the end of the war the Monitor and later M52 contracts were cancelled and the Marathon severely delayed by government meddling. So despite good sales of the Gemini,Messenger and Aerovan the company folded in 1947. Handley Page took over the Marathon project and built the early Heralds there. The airfield was pretty quiet after the RAF comms flight left for White Waltham just leaving a few private aircraft. Handley Page moved Herald production to Radlett in 1962 and the airfield closed shortly after. It was almost untouched, if overgrown, until the late 70's when the current housing estate was started. The original factory survives almost intact and is used by industry.

The expert on Woodley is Scapa, he wrote the excellent book wings over woodley for Adwest. Between him and I we have quite a number of images of Woodley.

How about posting a few images here as a photo is worth a thousand words

Herald at Woodley

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Taken a couple of years ago before they built the extention to the museum

Dave

I appreciate the the original post was made a year ago but the Museum of Berkshire Aviation has a website which details the opening times. The museum has grown in size recently with the opening of a fine extension to the original hangar.

The website can be found here. Museum of Berkshire Aviation

Didnt Hawkers use Woodley as well for test flying?

Has anyone got any aerial photos of Woodley airfield. I cannot seem to find any on the web. I live in Woodley, so would be keen to find out more. I have visited the Museum once before, but not found any good photos.

Quote Originally Posted by bennett_196 View Post
    Has anyone got any aerial photos of Woodley airfield. I cannot seem to find any on the web. I live in Woodley, so would be keen to find out more. I have visited the Museum once before, but not found any good photos.
    I think this might be Woodley
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by norwichpaul View Post
    The expert on Woodley is Scapa, he wrote the excellent book Wings over Woodley for Adwest.
    Still available, but it will cost you ! (Originally 14.95)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wings-Over-W.../dp/0946627126

Graham

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information