Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ibsley

Default Ibsley

There were plans a few years ago to restore the tower and turn it into a museum if I remember correctly. Does anyone know any more on this? It would be great to see this happen.

Richard

This might be a good start Richard: http://www.rafibsley.co.uk/

Chris

The problems that they have at Ibsley, firstly is that EH and the Group wanted the building listed (quite rightly) and the owners were keen too in order to gurantee its protection. The Minister refused so its not listed. More importantly however, is that some local nut has alledgidly found proof of bats, despite a bat survey being carried out not finding any. Consequently the project is in limbo (I hope I have this right).

Default Re: Ibsley

I'm a pretty late comer to this but the site excites me greatly as it's pretty much the last remaining building of the newforest airfields (given that the forestry commission seem hell bent on obliterating every trace of the airfields. grrrr) A friend of mine's mum works for bournemouth and west hants water who i believe own the site. she says that their is no hope of anything happening for at least 5 years due to the bat thing. ( i reckon we should go and stake the place out in shifts for a week and prove there aren't any bats!!)

I would absolutely love to see a museum on this site.

these pics were taking about 4 weeks ago with permission from BWHW

rat256 - is the museum still planned?? I thought the idea had been scrapped.

There is a good book about Ibsley called "So Much Sadness, So Much Fun", its well worth getting if its still available

as far as BWHW are aware, the idea is still tabled but its completely on hold to the point it may as well have been scrapped... the building may be too far gone to use safely by the time the bat thing is over.

I'll look out for that book...

I got my copy from the village stores in Ibsley a couple of years ago - my only visit there!

The other thing to happen recently at Ibsley is the dedication of a new plaque on the memorial, might be worth a photo for the memorials section when you are passing next

Has anyone got any pictures of Ibsley taken pre 1980? Also I am a bit confused by its use 1947 - 1950. I notice that it was in use by RAF Sopley, according to the ORB it was RAF Sopley at RAF Ibsley!! Was this always the case throughout this period until 1950 - the ORB is unclear? What happened after that, did RAF Sopley become stand alone RAF Sopley or was it still at Ibsley for a while. Its awfully confusing. What building at Ibsley was used as the RAF Sopley operations building? Anyone?

Hi, I think the main airfield reverted to agriculture very soon after the war- I have some pics taken on the airfield showing Mr Sampson, the farmer, planting spuds with his post-war Fordson High-Major in, we think, 1947 or 1948. At the same time, many of the huts were used to house local homeless families (The book "So much sadness, so much fun" by the RAF Ibsley Hist.Gp. says 150 families until the mid-1950s)
    With regard to the Sopley connection, the book says:"The No.2 communal site (which was renamed No6 site) at South Gorley was, however, used as a domestic site to feed and sleep staff for RAF Sopley until August 1952". The book gives several anecdotes about this period, and also tells of a serious accident on Jan 1st 1949, when a lorry taking the plotters to work at Sopley was involved in a fatal crash.
    I hope this is of interest,
    Fred

I have MS Flight Simulator & have made myself an RAF Ibsely. It's 3 miles away & I remember hearing engines & aircraft taking off when I was a very small child. I vividly remember seeing aircraft on the perimeter track running along by Mockbeggar Lane, as we went by on a double-decker to Bournemouth.

I'm also a new memeber of the RAF Ibsley Historical Group & showed a selection of screenshots at the recent open weekend. The appalling state of the unique tower is a disgrace & the owners should be ashamed of themselves. But as they only care about making money, helping to preserve our heritage obviously doesn't concern them. If I was the owner I'd put a tarpaulin at least on it to try to keep it dry inside.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information