Thread: Market Deeping

Default Market Deeping

Hi all

Has anyone any information or photos of RAF Market deeping ? All I can get off the internet is WW1 ELG & some RAF / WAAF use in WW2. My son goes to Cubs in one of the old huts and I would like to show him a picture of what his hut would have looked like then.

Thanks
    Andy

Default Re: RAF Market deeping

Hi Andy,

I wonder if the site in question is RAF Langtoft - lots of info on the web regarding this one.

Graham

Hi Graham
    yes that would make sense for the WW2 use. I had not thought of Langtoft and as there is no barracks on the Langtoft site (Dont know if there was then) it would make sense to house them at Deeping. As the crow flies the two sites are only about half a mile apart with the Deeping bypass running between them. I will have a Google for Langtoft Radar.
    Thanks

Andy

Wasn't Market Deeping a decoy site in WWII?

SuperMod

The domestic site at Stenigot was quite some distance from the operational site to minimise the threat from air attacks against the radar site.

According to RAF Lincolnshire info there was a RLG in the first war, the RAF utilised some of the site during the last war. If you look at where the Scouts have their address you will see many of the roads in a new estate have aircraft names. But the address is on Lancaster Way which appears residential.

Andy01 do you have a location for teh hut?

Sounds like a field trip for the local lads!

Hi All
    There is a Decoy site near Market Deeping but it is to the south between Deeping and Maxey. As far as I know this was a decoy for RAF Wittering.
    The Scout hut is between Wellington way & Blenheim way about level with Whitley way. I have not seen any other buildings nearby but they may have gone when Northfields ind est. was built. There are some houses nearby which I think were built for the RAF.

Andy

Default Re: Market Deeping

According to 'Airfields of Lincolnshire' Market Deeping was a WW1 landing ground in use from August 1918 to June 1919. Lat/Long; 5241'4.44"N, 016'1.68"W

Thread Information