Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ternhill

Default Re: Ternhill

Yep, Ternhill has a CFI block

Incidentally apart from the ATC gliders when did TernHill last have a fixed wing movement?
    bout 4 years ago a PA-28 ? arrived from Syerston on a quick visit, also think someone landed at Ternhill with a problem and only stayed for about 2 hours poss 2-3 years ago.
    Last edited by Smoggieboy; 08-07-2010 at 13:43. Reason: Forgot somethink

Quote Originally Posted by Smoggieboy View Post
    bout 4 years ago a PA-28 ? arrived from Syerston on a quick visit
    Whilst working on the married quarters about 7 years ago Llanbedrs Meteor WK 800 (Z) made a low overshoot over Tern Hill callsign T-Bird 14

I can certainly confirm it was the CFIs block - received a severe hat on interview from the last CFI standing to attention in his office whilst watching a Gazelle outside making a hash of an engine off! Incidentally, the 'top' part of the tower is a new build over the old building - the original wooden tower was so rotten it had to be replaced.
    The Stoke Heath side of the airfield was an MU during and after the war, with Lancasters being just one of their specialities.

Over on the Control Towers website there are a couple of pictures of the tower at Tern Hill. Although credited to me I found them at the back of a drawer in the VCR during a clean out. I think I guessed the date at 1985, it seemed about right.

One of the signal square, its upside down as was in the tower at the time.

Will get a better one asap.

From the 14th March runways 23/05 became 22/04, all documents are being changed. Signs on the airfield may take a little longer !!
    The heli Tee's remain 23/05 to confuse us even more on night flying !!

Few from Ternhill ATC

Empty radar room
    Last edited by Alex Brown; 23-12-2013 at 00:57. Reason: merged posts

Im suprised it ever had radar apart from PAR, I would have thought Shawbury would have done the approach work.

The staff used to get bussed over from Shawbury along with the students, spend all day then get bussed back with the required heli's being based all day.
    Think 2 PAR positions, approach and a director but will try and confirm them.

I will try and get the chronology correct but excuse me if I make some mistakes. The RAF withdrew from Ternhill in 1976, they kept the airfield and turned the domestic site over to the Army. The tower was the only building that was kept in regular use. The ground floor accommodates the Fire Section and Ground Radio Servicing Flight. Up to about 1989, Ternhill was a posting for Controllers although parented by Shawbury, I am led to believe that the radar in place at that time was a Plessey ACR 430, a short range radar. I was told that the circular concrete structure opposite the Bellman hangar was the radar base. I'm not technically minded but I would suggest that any radar placed on the airfield at Ternhill is going to be limited by that big lump of sandstone which is Tern Hill. I would expect the radar room to have only two consoles, one set up for Approach/Director the other for Surveillance Radar Approach (SRA.) I don't know when this radar was removed, it was certainly gone by the end of 1994 when I pitched up. The only radar procedure to Ternhill at that time was an SRA to Runway 28 which was done from Shawbury.

When the contract for the Defence Helicopter Flying School came up the RAF exaggerated certain aspects of their capacity. One thing that they were presented with was the prospect of providing an instrument approach every 90 seconds at peak times. I don't know who did the maths but the solution was to install a CR62 Precision Approach Radar at Ternhill. Given that no PAR had been put into Ternhill before the actual installation when quite well or so it seemed. Trying to get it calibrated was a nightmare with no runway or approach lighting the calibration aircraft had all sorts of difficulty getting a good line up on the runways. There was also disagreement to exactly where the PAR base was situated in Lat/Long, but to top it all they found when they swung the cabin round it was coming off the rails, the circular base was not circular. The cabin had to be dissembled the base re-laid and months later it was eventually calibrated. I doubt if it was used for more than 100 approaches. Shawbury had enough capacity, the overlapping directors patterns were a nightmare and integrating instrument traffic into the unique visual circuit procedures at Ternhill was very difficult. I'm not sure when it was taken away but it must be getting on for ten years.

Smoggieboy mentioned students being bussed out this happened for less than a year at the start of DHFS. The original idea was to have the offices at the side of the hangar tarted up and to be used for student briefing/debriefing. It turned into a full blown squadron building with an aircrew feeder. After another squadron building was completed at Shawbury it was abandoned for a couple of years and then lent to 632 VGS.

What's happening next? We live in interesting times.

That sounds a bit like the grand plan for Barkston Heath in the early nineties. It was going to get an ILS on 06, PAR and a Tucano squadron was to be based there. Well the PAR consoles were put in (they had been at Wildenrath), well when I say put in they were put in the approach room but not connected up. The ILS quitely died a death, although the sites for the markers had been identified, and the Tucano squadron spent a grand total of a fortnight in residence.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information