Thread: Twemlow (Twemloe?) Green

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Twemlow (Twemloe?) Green

I stumbled across this site. I think it was commercial but any input would be welcome.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.21768 ... =0&src=msl

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/sho ... php?t=8926

Default Re: Twemlow (Twemloe?) Green

No details on Twemlow but I did have this aerial which doesn't seem to show the tanks as they currently are. It looks to me lmore like D1 tanks but when I look at the photo the tanks humps appear sunken - probably an optical illusion!

tigger

Twemlow was a WW2 aviation fuel distribution depot but is now disused. In 2006 Defence Estates put the site up for sale but I haven't followed what has happened since. I drive close to there most weekends so could probably swing by and take a look one friday or monday.

The tanks are part sunk and earth covered...not been there for 20 years and can't remember whether round or rectangular as I wasn't particularly interested then!

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Paul is good at spotting sunken vs raised structures; it's all in the shadows!

I your B&W aerial to me they are depressions which implies that whatever was in the hole has been removed (tank?)

But, you are right, the site visible today has quite a different layout of tanks.

Was this site known by another name other than Twemlow?

tigger

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER
    Paul is good at spotting sunken vs raised structures; it's all in the shadows!

I your B&W aerial to me they are depressions which implies that whatever was in the hole has been removed (tank?)

But, you are right, the site visible today has quite a different layout of tanks.

Was this site known by another name other than Twemlow?
    Fairly sure it's just been called Twemlow (the 'Green' isn't really used locally). I know of one driver who used to call it 'Goostrey depot'...but he was from somewhere down near the equator (Maidstone I think)!
    Last edited by tigger; 15-06-2012 at 06:05.

I went in to twemlow to have alook round a couple of times recently.the first time the place was pretty intact,the last time the pikys had nicked all of the cables and the place is starting to get trashed.that was a couple of months ago ,so im sure it will be worse now.its still got a for sale sign up if you have got a few quid spare?

Thread Information