Thread: Twemlow Green / Goostrey

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Twemlow Green / Goostrey

I stumbled across this site. I think it was commercial but any input would be welcome.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.21768 ... =0&src=msl

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/sho ... php?t=8926
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 23-06-2014 at 07:23. Reason: Formatted title

Default Re: Twemlow (Twemloe?) Green

No details on Twemlow but I did have this aerial which doesn't seem to show the tanks as they currently are. It looks to me lmore like D1 tanks but when I look at the photo the tanks humps appear sunken - probably an optical illusion!

tigger

Twemlow was a WW2 aviation fuel distribution depot but is now disused. In 2006 Defence Estates put the site up for sale but I haven't followed what has happened since. I drive close to there most weekends so could probably swing by and take a look one friday or monday.

The tanks are part sunk and earth covered...not been there for 20 years and can't remember whether round or rectangular as I wasn't particularly interested then!

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Paul is good at spotting sunken vs raised structures; it's all in the shadows!

I your B&W aerial to me they are depressions which implies that whatever was in the hole has been removed (tank?)

But, you are right, the site visible today has quite a different layout of tanks.

Was this site known by another name other than Twemlow?

tigger

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER
    Paul is good at spotting sunken vs raised structures; it's all in the shadows!

I your B&W aerial to me they are depressions which implies that whatever was in the hole has been removed (tank?)

But, you are right, the site visible today has quite a different layout of tanks.

Was this site known by another name other than Twemlow?
    Fairly sure it's just been called Twemlow (the 'Green' isn't really used locally). I know of one driver who used to call it 'Goostrey depot'...but he was from somewhere down near the equator (Maidstone I think)!
    Last edited by tigger; 15-06-2012 at 06:05.

tigger2

Swung past Twemlow on my way back north this morning. New padlock on main gate, some evidence of recent fence repairs, no signage on perimeter except the 'Private Property No Parking' around the main access that have been there for years. Didn't attempt to take any photos.
    Last edited by tigger; 15-06-2012 at 06:06.

I went in to twemlow to have alook round a couple of times recently.the first time the place was pretty intact,the last time the pikys had nicked all of the cables and the place is starting to get trashed.that was a couple of months ago ,so im sure it will be worse now.its still got a for sale sign up if you have got a few quid spare?

Default Re: Twemlow Green / Goostrey

The current site was built in the 1950's by Shell. Fed by pipeline from Backford (via plumley). Distribution was by road or rail (very large rail facility with it's own engines was on the opposite side of the mainline rather than by siding directly into the depot). By the time of the Falklands Conflict distribution was entirely by road and there was for a time almost constant tanker traffic.
    Unipen (old name for the operator of the Manchester Jetline pipeline) had their offices here. Their control centre is now located at Backford North.

The site has been non-operational since the mid 1980s and was sold in 2011 to a local farmer who plans to use it for electricity production from animal waste using the six 4000 ton C2 tanks.

1973 view via Cheshire County Council:

Dug out some photos from one of my visits.

There are some more from the same visit at: http://photobucket.com/twemlow
    Last edited by Iain Taylor; 25-06-2014 at 20:15. Reason: added some old photos

Thread Information