Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wick

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: RAF Wick

A couple of recently digitised images showing Wick under camouflage especially the bomb stores:

http://aerial.rcahms.gov.uk/database...hdb=tara_scran

"There are fantastic opportunities ahead for Caithness as a result of the ongoing transformation of John O'Groats into a world class tourist attraction, and we hope that this move will help support efforts to promote the town and wider region as an inbound tourist destination."

If I was a tourist from half way across the world I should want to be able to say that I had been to the most northerly point on the UK mainland too, not just a settlement, so perhaps the name should be Wick John O-Groats Easter Head Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    "There are fantastic opportunities ahead for Caithness as a result of the ongoing transformation of John O'Groats into a world class tourist attraction, and we hope that this move will help support efforts to promote the town and wider region as an inbound tourist destination."

If I was a tourist from half way across the world I should want to be able to say that I had been to the most northerly point on the UK mainland too, not just a settlement, so perhaps the name should be Wick John O-Groats Easter Head Airport.
    Of course John O Groat is not the most Northerly point on the UK mainland! They seem to be getting around that by calling it the most "Northerly mainland settlement" though even that is debatable as there are a couple which look bigger. Not sure which bit is Easter Head, the whole area is known as Dunnet Head and the lighthouse is on the tip and I think is called Dunnet Head lighthouse.

Back on topic, Dunnet Head of course had Burifa Hill GEE station and a CHL.
    Last edited by mbriscoe; 04-10-2012 at 11:05.

They should move the live firing range fom the beautiful cape Wrath to J-o-g its a dump.....

Quote Originally Posted by Granite View Post
    They should move the live firing range fom the beautiful cape Wrath to J-o-g its a dump.....
    Improve two areas at a stroke?

Would it increase the value of my pack of Cape Wrath range playing cards?

Default Re: RAF Wick - Response & Request!

Yes, we know it as Dunnet Head but the march of progress names it thus:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=15&oz=7&gt=1

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    Yes, we know it as Dunnet Head but the march of progress names it thus:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...&gz=15&oz=7>=1
    The tip does seem to be marked as Easter Head though I have only ever heard it referred to as Dunnet Head.

Incidentally there is a Dunnet Head Heritage Trust, I saw a stall they had at the Highland Arachaeological Festival a couple of years ago and they had the ground plans of Burifa Head GEE station on display.

Apologies for the editng on this thread, I'm having a fight with photobucket.
    Anyway...
    I had a trip to Wick last weekend, on the Far North Railway from Inverness, which is a very relaxing and unhurried way to travel to the top that I would thoroughly reccommend. I'd also reccommend the Queeen's Hotel in Wick, but I digress.
    Wick Airport is only open for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon, so I didn't see it in action, but I was able to have a peaceful walk around the industrial estate that now occupies the technical site and have a quick look at the airport.
    I'd assumed, from the surviving hangers at Wick, that I'd have found brick built expansion buildings, however I realise now that Wick must have been provided with huts.
    Most of them have gone, but there are few left that have been re-clad and are still in use on the estate.

This is looking in from the main entrance. Wick Ambulance Station, a new build, is on the left and the Guardroom might have been to the right. I'm guessing the long hut across the background was once SHQ.

Here it is a little closer.

These have been re-clad.

This one looks like it hasn't been restored at all.

Main Stores? Without the section joining the two sections.

Station Workshops?

This compound looked very Air Ministry.
    Last edited by Barney; 12-03-2013 at 23:06.

Default Re: Wick

I'm still wrestling with photobucket.
    Here are the hangers.

This is the southern survivor. When I left on the train the centre doors were open and it looked like there was a light aircraft inside.

The north end of the northern hanger.

This was as close as I could get to the watch office and was taken through the airport fence.

The modern control tower.

This was in the overspill car park for the airport terminal and looked, with its circular road, like it might have been a BFI once upon a time.

A distant view of the bomb dump. I didn't have time to walk around there before my train went. As it was the only train on a sunday, I couldn't affor to miss it.

Finally, a distant view of what I think I read somewhere was the Standby Set House.

If I'd thought to read my Action Stations before I went, I'd have had a plan to refer to and I could have looked up the town buildings that were used as Sick Quarters and Ops Room. Maybe next time!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information