Thread: STORNAWAY - Aviation Fuel Distribution Depot

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default STORNOWAY - Aviation Fuel Distribution Depot

Stornaway is listed as having an aviation fuel storage depot at or near RAF Stations.

The two major airfields in the Hebrides were Stornaway and Benbecula to the south.

At the beginning of WW2 the Jocks had never heard of the Sassenach Robert Louis Stephenson so had not been able to copy the railway. To support these remote airfields it was necessary to bring fuel in by coracle... er.. ship tanker, and store it.

Stornaway in those days had a number of bothys but none suitable for storing fuel - rolling back the boulders for access was tiring - so a small tank farm of 2000 tons capacity in C1 type tanks was built.

Stornaway airfield was adjacent to the port but Benbecula on the island to the south had an independent fuel site.

Joking aside, this is the likely site but confirmation is required:

Last edited by PETERTHEEATER; 28-06-2012 at 07:51.

Default Re: STORNAWAY - Aviation Fuel Distribution Depot

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    At the beginning of WW2 the Jocks had never heard of the Sassenach Robert Louis Stephenson so had not been able to copy the railway. To support these remote airfields it was necessary to bring fuel in by coracle... er.. ship tanker, and store it.
    There was a railway at Stornoway!
    MB

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: STORNOWAY - Aviation Fuel Distribution Depot

Ouch! Duly chastised and correction to the spelling made!

I thought that the railway proposed in the 1920s was never built. I doubt that it would have been used for fuel supply since the only airfield of WW2 was Stornoway with an adjacent marine port.

Default Re: STORNOWAY - Aviation Fuel Distribution Depot

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    Ouch! Duly chastised and correction to the spelling made!

I thought that the railway proposed in the 1920s was never built. I doubt that it would have been used for fuel supply since the only airfield of WW2 was Stornoway with an adjacent marine port.
    It was only a narrow gauge railway and did not last long, just had to correct there being no railway at all.

I went to a conference on Lewis a few years back and we had a talk about RAF Stornoway by someone who served there. It was his first visit back to the island since the war. He wrote a history of the airfield fwith Mike Hughes. There was another talk by Ken Watson, his book on his time working on the CHLs at Rodel Park and Crustan is a very good read.

One think about Stornoway that always intrigues me is how the Chain Home at Broad Bay has comepletely disappeared. Usually at least a few mast or tower bases survive but all that I could find was perhaps the base of one building near the entrance to the site. Very unusual for local farmers to miss out on some free buildings!

MB

Thread Information