Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Newnton

Default Re: Long Newnton

Quote Originally Posted by manda View Post
    ). One question I was going to ask. Does a circular 'o' within a signal square denote 'explosives stored at airfield'? i know there's meant to be some sort of signal for that, just can't remember.
    Haven't heard that one, Manda - maybe correct?

From my notes:
    ... in October 1945 when a DH Dominie en route from Stretton to Halesworth landed at Attlebridge amongst piles of bombs stored on the runway. The pilot, a Naval officer, had failed to notice the white 'landing prohibited' crosses painted at the ends of the runways.

I believe Llandwrog had 'EX' on the end of its runways post war. This would make sense relating to either 'EXplosives', or Explosives + 'X' for 'landing prohibited'. (Except in this case it was chemical weapons, not explosives - nothing is simple).

The 1953 Naval 'Air Traffic Control Regulations (BR1899') states: abandoned airfields will a show a white cross consisting of two bars 5' by 60' at the end of each runway. The signals square is to be obliterated.

In October 1946 Long Newton stored 6,000 tons of weapons. A Class 'A' airfield was storing up to 10,000 tons at that time. It had been hoped to store 15 kt per airfield but this figure had proved optimistic, and the stocks had to be stored less densely to allow frequent maintenance and inspection.

Graham

And why only one runway so marked?
    Its not clear on the attached AP but both are marked with 'X's

The runway marking discussion has been moved here

Graham

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Re mandas Post # 3 image.

The 'stacks' are almost certainly munitions due to the careful spacing. Tail Units and non-ex stores would have been stacked together to enable economic covering with tarpaulins.

Thanks. Although widely spaced, I assume then that they were not explosive enough to merit a earthbank around them, as we see with bomb stores and other explosive sites?

Possible grenades or other SAA stuff?

Interesting that they aren't technically blocking the runways and that the X denotes "landing in emergency only" not "don't land at all/EX".

Quote Originally Posted by manda View Post
    Thanks. Although widely spaced, I assume then that they were not explosive enough to merit a earthbank around them, as we see with bomb stores and other explosive sites?
    Oh yes. They could have been large HE bombs. When the prescribed minimum safety distances were available there was no need to build earth traverses (ETs). Disused airfields - post war - provided the 'wide open spaces' that munitions storage demanded. Bomb Stores on operational airfields often encroached on agricultural land and were very near to inhabited buildings but usually could not meet the Outside Safety Distance requirements so ETs were built, as required, to artificially increase the OSD.

I see, well that makes sense, as there are mostly just fields surrounding the airfield and very little habitation. Thanks.

I have another question though . I was wondering if someone could check their plan for RAF Long Newnton and tell me if any airfield defences where marked. The reason I ask is that the GHQ Line Green, passed by to the south and west of the airfield, and there are many pillboxes along the length of the ditch, which all seem strategically placed at the natural gaps in the anti tank ditch. However in the NMR records, the pillboxes are primarily referred to as part of the airfield's defences but also forming the stop line. Personally i think its the other way round, with the pillboxes constructed specifically for the anti tank ditch, which of course could have aided airfield defence if it was invaded.

Sorry manda, I missed this one. I have some information on hand so I will take a look tonight and see what I can find.

It seems that the Green Line (Bristol Outer Defences) was never finished. (TNA WO199/1800).

It ran from Avening down to the NE/E of Tutbury then curved eastwards coming to a stop just SE of Malmesbury having passed south of Long Newton airfield.

The section of the stop-line effectively covering Long Newton airfield came through Church Farm (directly N of Long Newton village) arcing SE through Quobwell Farm and then passed just to the N of Malmelesbury and SE to Cow Bridge Farm where it met the River Avon and stopped (?)

This section had around 17 Pillboxes on it and, according to the records, were built as part of the stop-line benefiting Long Newton airfield.So,your surmise is correct.

The Defence of Britain database shows the location and type of the PBs in Google Earth (E&OE)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information