Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tarrant Rushton

Default Re: Tarrant Rushton

I believe it came via NMR at Swindon and from memory dated around 1972/3

That is extremely helpful PNK, many thanks. I have an RAF stereo pair from 1967 but they don't have that level of detail. Do you have the '72/3 photo to hand? If so, the text around the edge, on the photo strip, would be extremely useful to know. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PNK View Post
    I believe it came via NMR at Swindon and from memory dated around 1972/3
    I heard back from NMR and the closest dates they have for vertical airphotos is August 1962. Is this likely to be the date of your image? It would be great to know before making the journey to Swindon.

The 1962 verticals are RAF and chronologically the next ones the NMR have after that are Ordnance Survey from 1981. Mind you, that isn't the complete picture either (excuse the pun!) as I have some RAF verticals from 1967.

Found this in Archive.com - not sure who to credit - but it came from the now defunct(since around 2008 ) Tarrant Rushton website by Andrew Wright....Date is 1981.

Default Re: RAF Tarrant Rushton

it came from the now defunct(since around 2008 ) Tarrant Rushton website by Andrew Wright
    What ever happened to this website as it was a mind information and such a shame it is now lost?

When the airfield closed most of the archive was put into 45gal drums and burnt by a now diseased
    Blandford man. He was told by his boss (a Cobham employee) to burn the lot. The airfield was handed back to two owners whom I believe could not agree on what was to be left so only the two hangars remain and the rest was completely removed under the Critchel Down rules. Commander Martin, as it was his will to remove anything.

Default Re: RAF Tarrant Rushton

IMAG0019-525.jpg Tuesday evening. A small twin on finals at Tarrant Rushton heading down the main runway W/E. He did three dummy weals down approaches, then upped his undercarriage and headed for Hurn.

Richard

Default What are these aerials for?

I think this was taken at Tarrant Rushton circa. 1943/1944. Some sort of low aerial array aligned with the centre of the runway.

Beam approach or something like that? I'm not a wiggly amp guy so over to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: What are these aerials for?

Excellent, OEB. My records show that Tarrant was one of the few airfields with an SBA system still operational in December 1944. It was one of the 'low power' varieties. All early SBAs were high power which could beam an aircraft in from miles away. However with increasing numbers of airfields wanting the system, there was a serious issue of congestion. Reducing the transmitter power was an attempt to solve this, though it introduced undesirable problems of its own (key-clicks if anyone's interested).

The concrete plinth shows up well like the one at Snitterfield.

Ooh. Glad I spotted that now Had never heard of the SBA before.

So with Tarrant Rushton being used for Gliders/Airborne from opening until 1945 would this kind of beacon had any specific benefit to them or was it literally just for landing in poor visibility? None of the gliders would of carried equipment to use it so I can only assume it for was the tugs and transports.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEighthBit View Post
    (1) Had never heard of the SBA before.
    (2) ... with Tarrant Rushton being used for Gliders/Airborne from opening until 1945 .
    1) Some info on SBA here - post 47 and here - post 4

2) Gliders/Airborne sounds right to me, however I note in my Dec 1944 list (and SD161) , it's under Fighter Command ?

What was it built as I wonder. with 50 hardstands. it semed to have some sort of bomb store in Target Wood to the south-east.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information