Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawtry GPSS

SuperMod

Default Sawtry GPSS

Any thoughts on the GPSS depot at Sawtry?

First, the site from GE:

Second, a shot I took in November 1995.

From comparison with the GE image, it seems that the hutting (SECO and temp brick?) has gone. Is this depot now disused following the demise of Alconbury?

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Sawtry GPSS

Hmm; is this site post-war or is it the 'Peterborough' depot for which I am searching?

I have no wartime details of Sawtry. I think it came from the 'Other Sites' listed in the audits. It is clearly post war as this end of war photo appeares to show a different type of site. I have a feeling of Deja Vu over this one or am I getting confused with the Peterborough link?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some of the original hutting is still in place on the site, meant to take some pics when I was over last week, never quiet got round to it!

Sawtry GPSS was formally the Wood Walton Lane (Sawtry)POW camp. Its full history was a WW1 Army camp, it was then used for Italian then French and finally German POW's. There was a satellite camp at Warboys.

Sawtry History Society did some good research in to the site a few years ago
    http://www.sawtryhistorysociety.btck...es/MrsMossOtto

I also had a link for the International Red Cross inspection in Feb 1943 but I seem have misplayed it at the mo.

English Heritage did a good document on the UK POW camps.
    http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/p...-war-camps.pdf

SuperMod

Jenna - a fascinating history for this interesting location.

some recentish pictures of the original hutting in the CCAN site http://www.ccan.co.uk/viewlarge.aspx...OW+Camp+Sawtry

Thanks for posting that link, I haven't seen those pictures before.

I'm not 100% convinced that these buildings are as attributed, they do not fit the 1940's plan and the construction too looks later (but i'm no expert!)...

This is a layout of the 1940's plan over the modern aerial plan, the alignment and location of these buildings does not tally?
    We can be sure that any archaeology within the read boundary is lost as this is the modern redeveloped area.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

That picture caption implies that the buildings pictured are original, i.e. contemporary WW2 but they look post war. Comments?

Edit: Jenna must have 'clicked' almost at the same time as I did!
    Last edited by PETERTHEEATER; 13-07-2011 at 10:30. Reason: Pipped at the post!

lol, there a few other interesting features of this site I haven't seen in other POW camps... for example the 3 entrances (looking at the above pic, first is on the left and now a field entrance, next is the main access and the third was to the right of the building on the road that has been demolished.)

Google earth also has some clues, you can still see the former northern site boundary just above and between the top tanks, the altered section of boundary on the north east corner also shows part of the location of what I assume was an isolation hut (the hut now gone from the adjacent field), a nice feature is the outline of the POW huts in the grass just west of the circular water tank...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information