Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Balderton

Default Re: Balderton - anything left?

Quote Originally Posted by stevie View Post
    As far as i'm aware theres barely anything still at Balderton. I think theres a couple of buildings left and just a few small sections of concrete.

Anybody know if that very sad looking (and graffitti covered) old Lightning is still..well not so much parked..more like dumped on the old airfield??
    Yeah she is. There isn't much left of her now, just the airframe really. The land it is on has now been (illegally) made into a scrap yard but eviction notices are in order to close it down. I don't think the Lightening is going anywhere though as I doubt she is safe to move.

If you drive along the A1 South from the A46 it's down on your left a couple of miles down the road.

The Defense of Britain Archive has it down as Condition Unknown perhaps someone should update them Balderton

Heres some info and pics of the present day Balderton airfield courtesy of Simon T's excellent Lincolnshire web site -

http://actionstations.fotopic.net/c1022763.html

Cheers Dave. I was wondering what state the Lightning would have been in because it was about eight years ago when i last saw it and it looked in a pretty bad state back then.

Steve

Until a new housing estate was being built, the old hospital was still there along with all of the wards and resident ghost airman. Perhaps if brown envelopes and tables didn't get involved (allegedly!) then they would still all be there.

The hospital main building remains and is used as offices and there is also a hydortherapy pool there too to treat patients physio.

The clock tower remains as there is a preservation order on it, and planning permission was submitted for it to be made into a restaurant.

There is now an industrial estate being built on part of the airfield too so there will be nothing left at all in a year or two I suspect.

Looking at the site plans I have and comparing them to flash earth, it looks like the Gym and Chancel is still standing, can anyone confirm??

Here's an overlay for Google Earth of the Balderton general site plan including dispersed sites. You'll have to be a member of the Google Earth Community to download it. I think it's too big too post here (1.1 mb)

RAF Balderton Dispersed Sites Plan

Thanks to REF for the plan scan...

Tommy

Hi Tommy

That looks really good, have you done any other airfields like that?

Quote Originally Posted by REF View Post
    That looks really good, have you done any other airfields like that?
    Nope - that was the first try. But I plan to do this kind of treatment for any site plans I can get my hands on. If you've got 'em handy, send them along and I'll Google-ize them.

Just the overall site plan for this type of project though. I'd love to do the minutiae, but I'd spend the rest of my life perched on a chair with my face pressed against Google Earth (not that that would be a bad thing!)...

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by REF View Post
    Looking at the site plans I have and comparing them to flash earth, it looks like the Gym and Chancel is still standing, can anyone confirm??
    Have you got a photo of them still standing, talen from the air? If so can you post it on here and I will pop over tomorrow for a look.

Dave, it is located here;
    http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.03....8&r=0&src=msl

I haven't got or seen a photo of it, I didn't realise it was there until earlier today!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information