Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Stratford

Default Re: Stratford

Quote Originally Posted by Carnaby View Post
    Excellent stuff Steve, and to think that I visited this site 20 years ago and quickly moved on as 'there was nothing left'.

Graham
    Graham, That is exactly the same mistake i made the first time i visited here a few years ago. Had a quick look around and buggered off to Long Marston instead feeling pretty unimpressed. Really glad i made the re-visits now and had a proper explore of the place. The artwork in the mess rooms was certainly an interesting find.

Cheers for the kind comments chaps.

Steve

Great photos Steve! I have not been over to the far side of the airfield yet. I often wondered about those ramps - I thought they were modern additions because there used to be a lot of logging work around here and lots of dead truck skeletons - you obviously believe the ramps are wartime? From the MT section I guess. There is a lot still here it is true, it just takes some finding!

Cheers, John

Yes mate it's defitnetly a wartime MT Ramp. Nice to hear it's still being used. There's quite a lot of remains around that area. You can see the outline of where the bulk fuel storage area once was as well as lots of other hidden gems.

Cheers,
    Steve

I have now finished RAF Stratford on my website with 158 pages split in to two parts, airfield site & domestic sites.

Airfield Site

main03.jpg Petrol instillation (aviation)

main01.jpgBattle HQ and defending pill box.

main06.jpgPill box.

main02.jpg25yd machine gun range

main01.jpgBase of the T2 hangar.

www.atlantikwall.co.uk
    Last edited by Richard Drew; 03-03-2011 at 23:45.

main03.jpgWAAF quarters.

main04.jpg Mess building.

main04.jpgDecontamination center.

main06.jpgSergeants & Officers Mess's.

main03.jpgSewage site.

www.atlantikwall.co.uk
    Last edited by Richard Drew; 03-03-2011 at 23:46.

Looks like I missed rather a lot on my visit yesterday !!! I wondered what the tower in the distance was !!! Return trip one day me thinks.

Here's a photo of the former RAF Stratford taken from about 2000' during July 2011, looking ~SW.

The route of the removed peri track feeding the south runway shows up better as a crop mark than it does in GE on bare earth...
    Last edited by Sparky67; 07-07-2011 at 13:25.

I found this lovely touch of bespoke security on a visit in 2009; where broken glass bottles had been pushed into the cement placed on top of the walls around one of structures in the woods (between the A3400 and the airfield). I think it was the blast walls around the contained space shown on the photograph, which housed a metal grill covering a pit. A really beautiful thing summoning up the 'arts and crafts' movement!

If you look very closely, there is also some very fine detail on the European fairy tail Cinderella mural, more on that soon...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes an M&E plinth, the security was either to stop anybody getting in and electrocuting themselves or to stop fifth columnists? Nice photos and of the glass I have noticed on more than one occasion that beer bottles of the builders was used rather than take them back to the Off Licence and getting their money back. I do like Stratford its a very nice walk around.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information