Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amiens Jail Raid/Operation Jericho

Default Re: Amiens Jail Raid/Operation Jericho

I wonder why the name Jericho or to be eaxct JERICHO was chosen as the nname for this operation?

Some of you may be laughing, but the name of an operation must not give any clue as to the location or any details as to the operation. Thats why random names are usedsuch as the invasion of Italy being called HUSKY. And operation names should always be in capitals.

You are spot on. 'Jericho', being as you say, too easy to work out. Air Commodore Ted Sismore DSO DFC AFC (Basil Embreys navigator) was involved in the Navigational planning for the raid, I seem to recall that when I spoke with him, he said that it wasnt called that at the time, or words to that effect.
    I am quite sure that the name was given to the Op not long after the raid.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Quote Originally Posted by canberra View Post
    I wonder why the name Jericho or to be eaxct JERICHO was chosen as the nname for this operation?

Some of you may be laughing, but the name of an operation must not give any clue as to the location or any details as to the operation. Thats why random names are usedsuch as the invasion of Italy being called HUSKY. And operation names should always be in capitals.
    It's all in the Holy Bible. The walls of the city of Jericho were blown down by a trumpet blast.

In the Old Testament, in Joshua chapter 6, we have an account of the Israelites defeating the city of Jericho when they came into the Promised Land after wandering in the wilderness for 40 years. According to the biblical account, after the Israelites marched around the city once a day for six days, on the seventh day they encircled the city seven times. On the seventh time around, the priests blew the trumpets, the people shouted and the walls fell flat.

Interesting too, is the scaring deliberate, to show the breech, presumerbly the bricky could have disguised it if he wanted to. What has caused the dark line I wonder. It must be quite something to stand in front of that breech and think about what happended there all those years ago and the fact that all this originated in a raid from a small airfield only a couple of miles from where I'm sitting.

Thats exactly what I thought as well Paul. I've driven past this place many times over the past 15 years on the way to the Somme, I always stopped to gaze at this rebuilt section and then, apart from last year, drive on, thinking of what happened all those years ago. I don't know what caused the dark line. I was a buyer for a building company for some years....mortar can be hard to match on a patch up job and I've forgotten the other reasons this may happen. All I know is that it's one of the strongest memorials I have ever seen. It never ceases to amaze me.

sorry got all emotional then!

Mick

No need to apologise Mick, that exactly what memorials are designed to do, make one pause and think what others did so that we can live the life that we do.

Thanks for the info Denis, so what was it caled or did it in fact have a name?

Thats the trouble..he didnt enlighten us as to what it was called, if anything.

I have searched for any references to a name but drawn a blank. There is no mention in the station ORB or the squadron ORB's, regarding the raid or the loss of Pickard, Broadley or Sampson.

By rights the raid should have had a designation, but what, remains a mystery for now. Professor M.R.E Foot told us a strange tale about Pickard and the French resistance, but unfortunately we were sworn to secrecy...and no, I wont tell anyone either!

Having just logged in, may I thank Wigan (where I did a year at the Mining and Tech Art College...) Mick for the photos of Amiens Prison. Now retired to a seaside village near Abbeville (40 minutes from Amiens) but retaining a keen interest in the Mosquito since the met.forecast Mossie (now restored in the Hatfield Museum) used to fly past Liverpool at 100 feet during grammar school days, the prison was a "must" visit. Yet walking down the road on the prison side one is not aware of the breech, so good is the "new" bricklaying. I should have thought to cross over, where the dark "joins" in WiganMick's photo must become apparent. I will return to visit the cemetery next door where Pickard and Broadley rest, not having known that at the time either. And also the rear wall, where the "Jailbreakers" Pathe film indicates a second breech. Will report in due course. However, what really annoyed was the total lack of any memorial to the Mosquito and Typhoon crew who lost their lives - the sad little memorial plaque only mentions the resistance guys who perished during the raid and after. I would love to be part of any effort to establish an explanatory two-language plaque there which describes the raid and details the heroism involved. Is there any other interest in this??

Hello Scorpion,
    I have somewhat more than a vested interest in the Amiens Gaol Raid or Ramrod 564, living near the airfield the raid was flown from.
    You are right about the Typhoon losses, but there was another Mosquito crew member lost on the raid and that was Flight Lieutenant Richard Webb Sampson. He was navigator to Squadron Leader Ian McRitchie whos aircraft was shot down just before Pickards. Dick Sampson is buried at St Denis church, Poix de Picardie formerly known as Poix de Somme, 1st grave in the front row of the Commonwealth War Graves.
    The Prison is a little tetchy about people examining the walls as it is still a current working Gaol, so be careful

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information