Thread: PRO document on all A.M aquired land for flying.

Default PRO document on all A.M aquired land for flying.

This might be useful for some:

AIR 20/7260 AERODROMES (Code 3): Consolidated statements on the use of RAF airfields: February-April

I stumbled upon it at the P.R.O. some years ago looking for something else but couldn't remember the document number until now.

Basically it's post war list of all the aerodromes and land purchased for flying by the Air Ministry and the decisions on what to keep and what to dispose of. While it might not sound much there is a lot of information of lesser and "unknown" aerodromes. For example the early war ELG/Scatterfields are often listed as small pieces of land bought up for fighters to fall back to should the Germans invade. Some became RLGs or proper aerodromes, others just sat unused as pasture until the end of the war when the A.M. returned/disposed of the land.

Sadly it doesn't list positions of the land and often just gives a year for the date of aquisition/contstruction but often it gives the exact date of decomission, if why an aerodrome was not proceeded with and the acreage aquired which can sometimes help when figuring which fields made up the site.

It helped me find three "unknown" Gloucestershire landing sites and some period A.M alternate names for places which then helped me find further documents.

Default Re: PRO document on all A.M aquired land for flying.

Yep, sounded very interesting and I even asked for a quote on copying.

787.00 - Bargain. I'll let you know when it arrives.

(which will be never!)

It said there were 153 of A0 sized paper maps. Any idea what they show, i.e outlines or boundaries etc?

Noticed that it refers to 1946 - and there is a whole load more in AIR20/7261 (May-June).

If I win the lottery I will erect the AiX Archive building in the grounds of the TNA. It will have more than one archivists bedroom .
    Graham

Anyone got a sample of this they are prepared to post? Asking a lot I know but it would help to decide how valuable it might be.

Is there a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge nearby?

I've got some pictures of a few pages but I'll have to dig them out later. I don't recall the document having any maps in it!

Edit: First 3 pages as promised.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (72.1 KB, 9 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (94.2 KB, 10 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (94.1 KB, 12 views)
    Last edited by OneEighthBit; 17-10-2009 at 12:00.

Thread Information