Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodford

SuperMod

Default Woodford

BAE Systems has announced the closure of Woodford at the end of 2012:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8256404.stm

Default Re: Woodford

I dread opening your next post! More bad news!

Come the time it may be worth contacting BAE to see if they have any material that could be saved for the Archive. Otherwise we'll take it in turns to "skip watch".

Better still could we organise a clearing party to remove all the stuff they would throw for them?

Just a thought!
    Last edited by Peter Kirk; 15-09-2009 at 20:27.

I remember going to Woodford in the 80's to measure some things up for work that we where doing on the ATP and they had a load of Buccaneer's in for refurb, and it was fascinating being shown some of the original A V Roe drawings for some of their early bi planes.

It was just before my visit there that the hanger collapse occurred that damaged Lancaster KB976 that was there being restored to airworthy condition, I wasn't unfortunately allowed to go have a look.

It's a shame such a historic place is closing.

SuperMod

BAES used to have a small heritage room, not far from the main gate, and manned by volunteers. I think they managed to preserve a lot of records on the history of the site. I seem to recall that author and sometime ARG member Harry Holmes used to be part of the management team. Does anyone have his details so that we could enquire about what's happening to their archive?

Peter

Hi all
    here is a image sent to me showing the Lancaster production line at Woodford but unfortunately has no date

Smile Re: Woodford

I have so many memories of 'Woodford' airshows in 70's and 80's and currently live just 3 miles from the front gates to the factory. I often drive near the airfield wishing I could have been there 50-60 years ago, there would have been some incredible sites to see in our local sky.

It would make real sense to keep the airfield open for corporate/GA aircraft, you would have thought that being so close to Manchester city centre would be a real advantage; but it just doesn't seem likely to happen.

There have be plans locally to try and arrange just one more Airshow before the airfield closes. The idea came about in the run up to the general election, however it was driven by the loosing candidate, so not sure what will happen now.

I would have thought that there are so many significant links to aviation history it should be possible to secure some sort of reprieve but no one has come forward with a suitable case so far.

I'm sure many tears will be shed when the last aircraft departs from the field.

From the BBC;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-11945811

BAE Woodford Nimrod plant to 'close early'

The BAE Systems' Woodford plant, near Stockport, could close a year earlier than expected, the BBC has learned.

It has emerged the plant could close within months, instead of in 2012 as originally planned.

The plant, which employs 450 people, was due to close in 2012 following the government's decision to abandon 4bn upgrading of the Nimrod aircraft.

BAE systems declined to comment but the BBC understands an official announcement is due on Thursday.

It has emerged that the plant could effectively close in the early months of next year.

The company is also expected to confirm it will start to dismantle the Nimrod planes before the end of the year.

A union spokesman said this would represent "the world's most expensive pile of scrap metal".

The decision will affect hundreds more staff in Lancashire who were expecting to provide "in service support" for the Nimrods.

SuperMod

The Woodford staff won't dismantle the MRA4s - too expensive. They will be dragged out into the open and munched by Komatsu 360s. I understand that there is a plan for BAE Systems to make some form of Avro heritage centre from the sports club on the far side of the airfield (near the golf course) and that would remain after the airfield was covered in houses. I am told there are two of the development MRA4s in that area already - perhaps one will be kept? And perhaps it is not too late for XM603 to be towed over there as well?

Apparently only one MRA4 has ever flown.

Yes it is sad, but what I find even more sad is that a project which in 1996 was going to cost 2.2 billion for 21 aircraft ended up costing 3.5 billion quid for no aircraft. If BAE maangement had any decency they would sack those responsible, and MOD and the RAF would sack those responsible on its side.

And what we forget is its our money thats been wasted!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canberra View Post
    Apparently only one MRA4 has ever flown.
    Five MRA.4s have flown, unfortunately this is one project that should never have gone ahead in the first place.
    The RAF didn't really want another Nimrod development (as excellent as the MR.1/2 was in its time), one major reason is the tight internal space for both kit and crew, something that was realised with the previous fiasco, the Nimrod AEW.
    No one else wants the aircraft as it would supremely expensive to operate this unique type, and the sad fact is that maritime reconnaissance is a dwindling role worldwide.
    Apparently most of the airframes are being offered to museums, though I can't see why anyone would want to display a large example of a very expensive and backward project which should never have gone ahead, and never entered service.

As very sad as it is to see Woodford close and it's employees made redundant, I guess the Nimrod cancellation now just brings forward the closure date.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information