Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Woodford

Default Re: Woodford

I was told when I worked there that the flight sheds were imported from scandinavia.

SuperMod

The Supplementary Planning Document has been published - bye-bye aviation:

http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/do...nsultation.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by WJT View Post
    The Supplementary Planning Document has been published - bye-bye aviation:
    I think there had been some 'kid-ology' in some of the earlier press releases that there was a glimmer of hope for aviation to continue ... the SPD makes it clear that there will be no more aviation activity from the site.

The scale of residential development appears greater than first talked about, with that in mind it is inconceivable that there would be an aviation activity alongside such a development.

Strange that the report states the close proximity of MAN is a problem, given the number of years the two sites have co-existed.

However the heritage centre appears to be getting a new home and the Vulcan will become an outside exhibit at the centre, also think the control tower and one or two of the buildings are to remain.
    Last edited by jeta1; 30-07-2012 at 15:25.

SuperMod

JetA1: I think you are right. It is interesting to see that Redrow Homes seem already to own half of the site and that they have an option to buy much of the remainder from Avro Heritage Ltd - aka J C Bamford.

Presumably the crushed concrete from the runways and the buildings will serve as harcore for the new roads and houses.

Given the heritage 'ticket' on which it announced its presence, I wonder if Avro Heritage Ltd would entertain an ARG survey of the site before the buildings are demolished? We do not have too many aircraft manufacturing sites left now. Indeed, is there anything to interest English Heritage? With Norwichpaul's recent success with the Seaplane Shed, a quick Grade 2 listing might scuttle someone's plans - for a week or two at least.

They may have some fun in the Southwest quadrant of the airfield it is very swampy.I remember when they dug the pits for the RHAGS they filled with water overnight.

Last 4 jet maiden flight at Woodford http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA8d_..._embedded#t=0s

An undated photo of two Vulcans at Woodford from Nigel Bailey-Underwood

tigger

Quote Originally Posted by REF View Post
    An undated photo of two Vulcans at Woodford from Nigel Bailey-Underwood
    Three but one is somewhat smaller!

Hi Every one i think the photo was around 1993/4 i am on that photo some where in the crowed . If my memory is correct it teemed it down with rain & we had to be towed off the airfield & I do remember sheltering under Woodfords Vulcan .
    Regards ,
    Bomber .

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    Hi Every one i think the photo was around 1993/4 i am on that photo some where in the crowed . If my memory is correct it teemed it down with rain & we had to be towed off the airfield & I do remember sheltering under Woodfords Vulcan .
    Regards ,
    Bomber .
    It was at the 1990 airshow. From what i remember they parked them both nose to nose to celebrate '558's 30th birthday. '558 wasn't display flying in 93 or 94.
    Last edited by stevie; 29-10-2012 at 13:06.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information