Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aircraft Tugs

SuperMod

Default Aircraft Tugs

Thought I would start a new thread on aircraft tugs to consolidate some of the material on the site. Here are some shots taken at Marshall's Cambridge City Airport on 20 September.

First, a couple from the Douglas stable. There was an even bigger one in the adjacent hangar, but I forgot to ask permission to photograph it!

The two Douglas tugs were part of this little line-up at the end of a hangar. Anyone know what the big one is at the left of the line? The diddy ones are FMWs I think.

The Red Arrows decided not to bother with a mechanical tug and used one of the human kind. To be frank, they did the job of turning all ten aircraft a lot quicker than it would have been done using a single mechanical tug. The motive power came from a bunch of very enthusiastic Air Cadets, who can normally be found close-by whenever the Red Arrows are in attendance.

Default Re: Aircraft Tugs

Here are some images of the 'new' Schopf Tractors used by the RAF and RN. Can anyone tell me why these tractors tow nose to nose, requiring the driver to reverse and look over his / her shoulder, this must be most uncomfortable?

These are all RN examples;

This one at Culdrose is clearly 'owned' by 824 Squadron:

And this one at Culdrose is 'owned' by 849 Squadron :

One of Yeovilton's:

Back to Culdrose:

Incidentally, lots of building work going on at Culdrose, 750 Sqn in the background being modernised and Hanger being rebuilt. Also 771 Sqn on D site are having a totally new Hangar / HQ built.

And finally FRADU, this Hawk is being pushed:

I noticed that the tugs at Cambridge dont have number plates, presumably because they dont go on public roads. So why do military tugs have military number plates????

Its down tothe overkill regs in the MT JSP all vehicles used on military airfields mustcomply with the road trafiic act its also to do with deploying to civy airfields.
    TED

Yes but if you deploy to a civvy airfield the tugs would go on the back of a four tonner not on the road!

And I see that Culdrose has had some new buildings, oh dear!!

But most airfields require compliance to all the regs even airside have you not seen some of the Airport programmes where the Met Pol do baggage drivers for speeding no seat belts etc when my son was in hospital at ninewells they bro0ught one of those tugs and a Houchion to sort out a dead Seaking it sat on the helipad for over a week the tug left the pad several times straight onto a publi9c access road. i believe its only private company airfields like Marshals where the regs don't apply. Certainly most big places the ground/airside regs for that sort of thing is equal.
    TEd

Ah a bit off thread Ted (Im a poet!) but under a by-law the Met enforce the laws at Heathrow, at Manchester the coppers didnt do speed checks on the airfield and in the RAF its the tower who do people for speeding on the airfield.

Canberra mate Your way out of date the RAF P have the periodic use of hand held speed cameras. The road traffic act applies on all MoD property ( except certain special sites) . ATC might think they own the airfield: but they have no way of formally enforcing speedrestrictions on it, unless a driver's actions put an aircrafdt 's safety at risk. . If an ATC officer or NCO was to bollock someone for speeding, he or she would be wide open to redress and the person accused would be in line for a big pay out; its all changed mate since the human rights act , my daughter in law was SNCO P1 on a very large station for 2 years, what she told me was the final icing on the cake that told me I was glad to be away from it all.
    You can be redressed for shouting at someone let alone tell them they did something wrong when. In the case of ATC a) without a calibrated speed camera and a currently trained and authorised operator yopu cannot prove speeding. b) You cannot say someone is guilty without a formal investigation and trial, all you can do is inform the individual he is being subject to further action. . The last orderly room I was asked to do was under the first stage of the new rules; The accused was invited to come into the room with hat on no more march in the guilty b*st*rd !!

TED
    Last edited by ted angus; 16-08-2010 at 18:07.

Yes I know that the coppers have speed guns. I will tel you the case of a copper at Cranwell (this was in 93) who at o good 00 stopped the duty instructor for speeding in a 20 zone on his way to the tower, in fact the civvy bill wont do speed checks in 20 zones. Anyway, DI was late and weather check aircraft was late. OC plods got a phone call from CO telling him to inform his NCOs not to do speed checks.

Yes I am aware that under Queens Regualations you can indeed be redressed for shouting at someone, especially if you do it in the presence of others and it is not for their benefit as well.

And even today Im fairly sure if you tried to tell them it wasnt their airfield then I think youd be on a sticky wicket!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information