Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strubby

Default Re: Strubby

Hi Mackem45 welcome to the forum . Good to read your story of your time at Struby . I agree its one of the best preserved airfields from the 1940s .Its still got that wartime feel to the place especially as you enter the site .
    Regards ,
    Bomber .

I do wish more information and photographs would surface on this airfield. I have a great affection for it, as I started my obsession with aeroplanes there back around 1970. Back then, there were Varsities chugging past the control tower, plus Dominies and the Macaws team Jet provosts performing their rehearsals. I'm saddened to see just how few images have appeared of the place when it was in business

Default Fly-in this weekend , 27-28 July

Some details below ;

Strubby will be holding a fly-in on the 27th and 28th of July.

Strubby Aviation Club has parallel asphalt/grass runways aligned 08/26

There will be a fly-by courtesy of the Spitfire, Hurricane and Red Arrows on the Saturday and the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane on the Sunday.

Free landing fees.

Come and see us at one of the friendliest airfields you could visit.
    We are close to the sea-side resorts of Mablethorpe and Skegness.

http://www.strubbyairfield.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBomber View Post
    Hi REF,

Yes I did see memorial - and it's still in a very sorry state. I will try and contact the owners to see if it can be renovated as I understand that they are keen to preserve the memory of the site in general.

The Tower has been very sympathetically restored and is now used as a dwelling.

Here are some more photos:
    Hi, The memorial is due to be replaced sometime soon. Have spoken to the owner who said she was taking it down in favour of the new one, which is sad, as the old memorial was lovingly built and dedicated to all who served there, plus a young pilot who died aged 19 on the airfield. I am in touch with his relative. I am in the process of refurbishing it as best as possible, but have been told it will all come down, when the new one goes up, so I am not able to spend money on it for that reason. I will do what I can, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackem45 View Post
    I was stationed at Manby 1962-63 spending a great deal of time at Strubby which was a satellite approx 3 miles away i.e. daily commuting to work! Photo no.2 is of the guardroom where I spent many a wasted evening on security / fire picket duty (the duty accomodation was in the building directly opposite the guardroom). The pyrotechnic stores were where we kept the engine starter cartridges for the Canberras. Even then, it still had a very 1940's feel about it. Very little had changed since the close of hostilities in 1945. No new facilities had been added - Manby being the main focus of activity.
    Hi, I am interested in hearing more on Strubby. Have you an email address, so I can contact you independently? Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I do wish more information and photographs would surface on this airfield. I have a great affection for it, as I started my obsession with aeroplanes there back around 1970. Back then, there were Varsities chugging past the control tower, plus Dominies and the Macaws team Jet provosts performing their rehearsals. I'm saddened to see just how few images have appeared of the place when it was in business
    Hi Tim,
    I live near to Strubby, and have some photos taken this past year. Would love to see older pictures but they don't seem to be around. Jan(Maddy)

I managed to spend some time looking around the site a few weeks back. Delighted to see that there are still traces of the white centre-line markings on the main runway. I could still picture the Varsities squealing their way towards the threshold!

I tried to establish whether the eastern end of the main runway is dug-up or simply covered in earth and grass. I couldn't really be sure but I guess it's simply covered over, given the smooth and flat surface.

The runways and taxiways seem to be surviving quite well, even if the old tech site is crumbling. I just hope that nobody comes-up with and stupid ideas for development for any parts of the site. The adjacent garden centre is nicely hidden behind tress and hedges, and the airfield looks virtually unchanged since the day the RAF left. I hope it stays like this!

Still no more photos - I'm truly amazed at how few pictures seem to have been taken at Strubby

Still no more photos - I'm truly amazed at how few pictures seem to have been taken at Strubby
    http://s130.photobucket.com/user/tru...fields/Strubby

Found this

Taken at RAF Strubby in May 1945 Bert Allam (Pilot) is third from the left PA283 9J-J and crew

kevin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information