Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: East Kirkby

Default East Kirkby

anyone got info and mainly pics? all i find is squadron info and pics of the heritage centre. got alot of info myself but want to see what you guys have got!

Default More Fulbeck pics

Last edited by Richard Flagg; 04-10-2012 at 10:35.

Default East Kirkby pics

I have found another two oldish pics, 1989 or before I think. I gave the prints away years ago, so these are from enlarging the negatives. If I have transposed them, let me know!

and again

Sorry about my knee.

Default Re: RAF East Kirkby - MERGED

I can't believe there hasn't been more of this historic place covered here on AIX over the last year.

Anyway heres a selection of pictures i took at East Kirkby during a great day out searching Bomber County with Wiganmick and his misses who not only drove us all over Lincolnshire but also very,very patiently put up with us both all day!! Nice one matey!! She deserves a medal! (we'll do Suffolk and Cambridgeshire next time heheheh!)

The tower at Kirkby looks great both inside and out. Will post some inside views later -

"just Jane" Europes other (almost) airworthy Lanc! -

..and here she is in action. She looked and sounded beautiful!

Default Re: RAF East Kirkby - MERGED

Heres a few shots taken out on what little remains of the main runway and peri track area on board the Queen Mary as we toured the main operational side of the airfield.

Above:Heres Barbara who was our tour guide over the bumpy and really windswept airfield on the back of the Queen Marey as we 'taxied' over the old runways and peri tracks.She really was amazing. Telling us everything we would ever need to know about the history of Kirkby and also sharing her own memories and stories of life here.You could tell she has a great love for this place.

One of the only occasions where the main runway is at it's full width although obviously it's not that easy to tell really. -

Just how wide is this expanse of concrete???? Parking area for the big USAF Strato Jets -

Cheers,
    Steve

Default The Luftwaffe at East Kirkby 1997.

Default Re: The Luftwaffe at East Kirkby 1997.

Default Re: The Luftwaffe at East Kirkby 1997.

I took all these photographs while attending a Lancaster taxi run - Luftwaffe Nightfighter pilot get together at East Kirkby in 1997. The photographs shown include; Part of the taxiing of Just Jane, Three ex crew members that i met and alowed me to photograph them infront of Jane, The BBMF Lancaster overflying the occasion, VC William.[Bill] Reid first on his own then talking to someone, Off to his right is the original model for the ; JANE cartoon strip in the Daily Mirror during the war. Her real name being, Christabel Leighton-Porter. She is shown kissing the nose-cone of her namesake. Two ex 617 Squadron members, though after the Dams raid. Lastly Ex RAF and Luftwaffe mixing together. I was alowed up the mobile steps to take these photographs, For more information on Bill Reid tap in to Google.. VC William Reid. And for more information on Jane tap in Daily Mirror Cartoon Strip WW 2. Go to Racy cartoon strip of the ww-2 years.

Default Re: East Kirkby

Isn't the world small I just posted a picture of Just Jane taken yesterday at East Kirkby on another forum for a friend of mine who I know is aircraft mad, & he's just thanked me saying his Dad was based at East Kirby, in B Flight 57 squadron, then the flight was expanded and became 630 Pathfinder Squadron.
    I'll see if he has any old pictures or information.

Default Re: East Kirkby

Afew pic from the far side of airfield off the perimeter track on the stickney road 2 of the hangar base and walls only really visible in winter and the perimeter track winding off toward the runway extension
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information