Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TSR2

Default Re: TSR2

Mr norwichpaul at Duxford on 14th Sept

I dont know who that guy is, he is an imposter. He also wearing his watch on the wrong arm! REF you been following random men around and taking their pictures!

SuperMod

Here are a couple of photos of the Duxford TSR2 (XR222) in its earlier days as part of Cranfield's 'library of flight'. The first shows it outside Hangar 2, looking slight weary but basically intact, in the mid-70s.

The second photo shows it disassembled and on the way to Duxford on at least two low loaders, supposedly on 21st March 1978 although I've also heard a May date mentioned. The picture's taken on the hill down from Cranfield village towards Upper Shelton. The roads in this part of the world are fairly tight and twisty so it must have been a fairly interesting trip to Duxford. I like the guy sat on the back having a ride.....

Peter

'I like the guy sat on the back having a ride.....'

Do you u mean the guy is a mate of yours or you are envious of him having a ride? Sorry Peter but I had to get in there before PNK and Petertheater.

Aha! - Or, you look like the guy on the back of the trailer! (Just written in bad English).

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Quote Originally Posted by norwichpaul View Post
    'I like the guy sat on the back having a ride.....'

Do you u mean the guy is a mate of yours or you are envious of him having a ride? Sorry Peter but I had to get in there before PNK and Petertheater.
    Curses. Beaten to the punch!

Take comments on videos and in books with a big pinch of salt. Having written a best-selling book on TSR2 last year, I researched the project for some time and found that most of the stories surrounding this aircraft are complete claptrap.

The project was not cancelled because of political motivation, in fact the government held-on to the project for much longer than they ought to have done. It was cancelled because it was hideously expensive and the manufacturer could not promise that it wouldn't spiral still further out of control.

As for the story of jigs being destroyed, it's also another myth. In fact the government offered to allow BAC to continue flying two aircraft, if BAC wanted to finance them. They didn't, so they were never flown again. The jigs were destroyed because they were no longer needed.

TSR2 is surrounded by daft conspiracy stories and they're all untrue. It was simply a case of a project running out of control until it was unaffordable. TSR2 had great potential (actually this wasn't even the aircraft's name - it was actually called the Vickers-Supermarine Type 571) but at far too high a price, sadly. More to the point, it was designed for a role (east of Suez) that disappeared. TSR2 eventually re-emerged not as Jaguar, but as the far more practical Tornado of course.

Are you Tim Laming? Agree 100% with what you say above.
    NP, is that the engine test house that had its roof blown off when a TSR2 Olympus blew up?
    Last edited by mawganmad; 28-02-2011 at 18:55.

I used to be Tim Laming but I changed my surname to McLelland about six years ago!

Sorry Tim, I know who you are now, didn't realise you were on this forum!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information