Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawbury

Default Re: Shawbury

Crikey....twelve weeks !!

Aren't they known as Flight Ops Assistants now?

12 weeks waht on earth are they teaching them??? Although I always thought there should have been more met and nav, and more about things like customs clearances. My first posting was to an Ops room not a tower so things like airfield layouts werent that useful.

As for the 11/XI FTS badge, shows how confusing the use of Roamn numerals can be. Always remember an armourer at Marham telling me hed served on 11 Sqn rocks, in fact he meant 2/II Sqn. In fact he was bulls hitting!

And Ive just had a look at the RAF careers website and you have to have GCSE maths and english before you join up as an FOA, I didnt have a single O level or CSE when I joined up.

Did'nt need them when I joined up either but the tests scores required are that of a GD now ! So the the trade is getting its share of dulards now !! They are trying to combine AATC/FOA with scopies ! Remember if they could'nt pass TTF that was were they were booted off to! fail TTF and get sent to a better paid job.

Part of the course envolves a week tree hugging, climbing, canoing and horrible outside things that people do for fun !

There was talk of merging with the scopies when I was in, as for dullards I must admit I worked with a quite a few AATCs/FOAs who were a little bit on the thick side.

Does anybody know where ther Battle HQ is located at Shawbury, I can`t get a site plan from Hendon as it is still an active site, there is a picture in Pauls book on airfield defences
    so I know it`s there some where.

Cheers Mike

Actually having written over 20 pages on just how the airfield defence organisation worked at Shawbury, and then to actually find the BHQ was a real shot in the arm. It really did make my day and I felt quite humbled by the discovery. Cannot put its location on here though. PM me Newage.

Here is a nice Pathe video of the navigation school to Gib, and photo of the Aries Aircraft at Shawbury

www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=47432

although the last one may be Luga

This has recently appeared on a door on Hanger 2 which is 60 Sqn's, as per the zap !

This the hanger doors on hanger 3, showing the stop plates for the modified doors.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information