Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawbury

Default Re: Shawbury

A visitor was taking pictures of the BHQ yesterday at Shawbury, as I was in the tower at the time I did'nt get chance to say hello.

Crash gate 2 is in the process of being moved further on to the airfield, its the crash gate near hanger 15 and has the old hanger 16 outside the wire, in private hands now. Its due to some of the land not actually owned by MOD so the landowner wants his bit of land back, so a new fence is being put in place behind the Watchman radar head area.
    Its not land used by the helis so it won't make any difference to the flying activities at Shawbury.

A visitor was taking pictures of the BHQ yesterday at Shawbury, as I was in the tower at the time I did'nt get chance to say hello.

Wonder who that was?

I asked our driver if the gentleman had light ! coloured hair but this gent had dark hair and said he was from the local area.

Brought my copy of Control Towers into Ternhill today and the controllers are having a good read of it as well, especially the Ternhill and Shawbury tower sections !
    Last edited by Smoggieboy; 01-04-2011 at 13:17. Reason: Forgot somethink

It was me......
    The visit was arranged through Sqn ldr Hope, i went up to
    RAF Shawbury a few weeks back looking for the BHQ but
    Found that it was in RAF land, the RAF did not even know
    It was there.

As some of you may know I'm researching the locations and
    Condition of all the BHQ's around the UK.

So far Iv done 67 when I get up to about 100 I'll be
    Going live with the online data base.

And just to keep ctpie happy all have full 8 fig os grid
    Ref.

Cheers mike

Ah right, hello then, I was training someone in the VCR so could'nt do the driving and get to meet you. The CRO asked me a few weeks ago where it was and had to refer to Paul's info about it to let the CRO identify it ! Hope you got all the pictures you needed.

He's on 01939 250351 Ext 7572

Found on the Shropshire Star website:
    http://tinyurl.com/5wso4xh

At least one Argosy in the background.

The ground controller may have out of shot to the right(on the local controller's left side) we don't have a ground controller today, us assistants do it all, its called information as we don't hold a controlling ticket.

My only recollection of Shawbury prior to 94 were a couple of days at the beginning of 89 as I was crashing and burning on the Controllers course. The Local Controller sat on the right and the Ground Controller on the left. The chairs were on a dais so you had to be careful no to push back too far or you would take a tumble. The Assistant would be sat in what seemed to be a cubby hole at the far right.

I don't know when "Ground" became a common position in RAF airfields. On my first tour at Wyton in 1978 it was just a Local Controller and Assistant in the VCR given that there were three squadrons of Canberras plus the Nimrods and Devons. The Assistant was supposed to monitor an unofficial Information frequency which was set up on an ARC 52, I suspect this procedure might have been introduced to replace the "Monitors" position had been recently disestablished. I do recall that there were places had unofficial Ground positions manned by people who had not passed any course, at Lyneham in the mid 80's it was common for the Local Assistant to take over Ground when there was a controller shortage.

Things have changed in the last few years and there seems to be a trend to regularise everything. Shawbury has many peculiarities and non standard procedures which many people have had problems adjusting to. In the past these have been accepted or tolerated but as regimes change we never know what's around the next corner.

My first posting was Marham in 78 and there was no ground controller or even a caravan! At Gutersloh in 84 we had ground control but only between 8 and 5 monday to friday. When the photo was taken Shawbury was just the ATC school and the only flying was AFAIK the school JPs so I suspect there wasnt really enough traffic to justify a ground control position.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information