Thread: SOE Memorial

Default SOE Memorial

On Sunday 4 October at 14.00 hrs, a memorial is due to be unveiled in memory of the Special Operations Executive Agents who died in WW2. The memorial is situated on the Albert Embankment close to Lambeth Palace.

Robin.

Default Re: SOE Memorial

I attended the unveiling of the SOE Memorial this afternoon, the unveiling was done by the Duke of Wellington in the presence of the Mayor of Lambeth, members of the Norwegian Armed Forces and the leader of the Norwegian Resistance movement portrayed in the "Heroes of Telemark" film. Music was provided by the Band of HM Irish Guards and there were contingents from the three Cadet Forces, together with Standard Bearers of ex Service organisations, of which I was one. The memorial takes the form of the bust of Violette Szabo GC mounted on a marble pillar, and is situated on the Albert Embankment by Lambeth Bridge, opposite Lambeth Palace.

Robin.

Hi Robin, I'm pleased to hear about the memorial to the SOE. There's also a good section about Violette Szabo in the underground hospital on Jersey. Did you get some photographs last sunday ?

Hi

Sorry, no photographs, it is rather difficult to take pictures when you are holding a Standard. It is a rather imposing memorial. Had a rather busy time with parades recently, the previous Monday I was at the National Memorial Arboretum for the dedication of the RAF Association Remembrance Garden, when I had the pleasure of speaking with The Princess Royal, and on the Sunday before, I was one of the lining party outside Westminster Abbey for the Battle of Britain service.

Robin.

Thread Information