Thread: Hooton Park

Hybrid View

Default Hooton Park

Hooton Park was opened in 1917 as No. 4 Training Depot Station. Four General Service Sheds were erected that year, anticipating the assembly of aircraft shipped from the US via Liverpool but this never happened. During WW2, Hooton Park became a Coastal Command station. During 1941, two runways were laid.

In 1942, the station passed to RAF Technical Training. This role lasted until 1944, when the station passed to RAF Maintenance Command as a storage facility (with 61 MU in residence). A variety of units passed through Hooton Park until it closed in 1962.

The site is now largely owned by Vauxhall, who use the existing NW/SE runway as storage.

The General Service Sheds are Grade II Listed, two (No. 2 and No. 3 Hangar) of which are owned by the Hooton Park Trust, who are hoping to restore them. The No. 1 Hangar is in the process of being demolished. A number of other buildings also remain. (photos taken October '09)

Views around No. 1 Hangar

Would would like to thank the people at Hooton Park for showing us around.

Chris

Default Re: Hooton Park

A few more...

Avro Anson C.19 G-AGPG

Chris

And it has one of those bomb drop towers as well?

Quote Originally Posted by mawganmad View Post
    Nice pics of another interesting site Chris, did you see or get pic of the Gannet forward fusalage at all?
    Should add, the only aircraft I saw there was the Anson (G-AGPG), a cockpit section of HS.748 (G-ORAL) and a Sea Hawk Cockpit, I didn't photograh that as it was wrapped up in tarpaulins and covers!!

An undated photo of RAF Hooton Park. Photo supplied and reproduce with the permission of The Hooton Park Trust

I dropped in 4 years ago, and was very nicely allowed to take a tour...

Shame about hangar 1 though...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Hooton Park belfast truss hangars

This Sunday on armistace day The Hooton Park Trust is launching a major fund raising appeal at www.spacehive.com/hootonhangar1 This appeal for funding is being made as offical routes are proving harder and more difficult to access due to the urgency of the works, the onset of winter and an ever shrinking public purse. The appeal is aimed at raising enough cash to strip one bay of the existing cement board and felt roof covering, refurbish the skylight, repair all of the 17 Belfast trusses, there supporting brick piers, replace the central rainwater gully and then re cover the roof with a ply covering under 3 layer felt system.
    6 early evening Hangar 1 14 Sep.jpg8 Hangar 3 West end roofless.jpg The pictures show a side elevation of Hangar 1 this is the building we are fund raising for, the second photograph shows what is going to happen if we cannot raise enough money for the project to proceed. This is Hangar 3 which has had a series of major collapses. So please do visit www.spacehive.com/hootonhangar1 after Sunday and pledge something towards our goal, we have a good start with £272K already in the pot and every pound raised for the building will be spent on the buildings. We all give our time and effort as volunteers so there are no overheads from the Trust, we all want to save the building which will then allow us to open up the site to new users and visitors.
    Thank you for your attention, Regards Graham
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moderator and ARG Trustee

Default Re: Hooton Park belfast truss hangars

Best of luck with the fundraising.

I couldn't get the Facebook share button to work on the site, you might want to have a look at that.

Smile Re: Hooton Park belfast truss hangars

thanks for looking, the face book link is probably because Hooton park ha snot got a facebook presence. I just logged on to spacebook and the site is now live it seems as soon as I put in the closing date the project goes live, prempts my Sunday launch but the pledge button works which is the important bit. Pledges are only taken if we reach the target so every £5.00 will help.

Thread Information