Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 42 Group RAF - Aviation Oxygen

Default Re: 42 Group RAF - Aviation Oxygen

Quote Originally Posted by ted angus View Post
    Air 10/6094 will have all the answers on this one,
    TED
    AIR 10/4657 Mobile Oxygen and Nitrogen Plant, MKII 1947 may also be of interest. There should be something on the BAID in TNA.

Lots of stuff in AVIA, but most relates to aircraft.
    AVIA 54/1472 Oxygen producing plant: inter-services technical committee to co-ordinate research and development

Graham

Thank you I am slowly going through the online catologue. I hope my London based friend has plenty of free time !!!! My main interests are ground support equipment and MT vehicles seems to be several APs in AIR 10.
    TED

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Good stuff posters. Every little helps.

My London friend was on the phone last night and will go to Kew for me, this morning I have sent him a list of references including the Kentford and the mobile Oxy & N2 plant. So fingers crossed !! I have been digging re BA1D but as we know first hand its function i.e. the production of O, N2 LOX & LIN from fresh air I won't spent any more time on that although I am still trying to find out which ship carried the plant ex Cardington to the Falklands.

I am also looking for more detail on the mobile oxygen plant that featured in the Coranation review in 1953, what is stated in FLIGHT is :it received LOX from BOC and filled cylinders for flightline use on exercises ?/

TED

first info is filtering in from Kew firstly the Kentford. The Kentford was merely an Oxygen compressing unit. It comprised a LOX storage tank , BOC gas Compressor and a water distilation plant mounted on a 20ton SMT 8 twin wheel trailer. It was towed by an AEC Matador that carried a generator to power the trailer. The trailer could run on mains supply when availible. Once on site a Nurse Balloon was deployed; this and the storage tank were then filled with LOX by BOC.

The second item filtering through is the Mobile oxy & nit plant mounted on an AEC 0854 6x6 truck ; This is circa 1944 and is a fully self contained unit that takes fresh air and produces LOX or LIN then can pump into the relevant cylinders. More to follow

TED
    Last edited by ted angus; 21-11-2009 at 16:41.

Quote Originally Posted by ted angus View Post
    first info is filtering in from Kew firstly the Kentford. The Kentford was merely an Oxygen compressing unit. It comprised a LOX storage tank , BOC gas Compressor and a water distilation plant mounted on a 20ton SMT 8 twin wheel trailer. It was towed by an AEC Matador that carried a generator to power the trailer. The trailer could run on mains supply when availible. Once on site a Nurse Balloon was deployed; this and the storage tank were then filled with LOX by BOC.

The second item filtering through is the Mobile oxy & nit plant mounted on an AEC 0854 6x6 truck ; This is circa 1944 and is a fully self contained unit that takes fresh air and produces LOX or LIN then can pump into the relevant cylinders. More to follow

TED
    Thanks Ted, the second unit sounds interesting.

The first unit described had an on-board water distillation plant so that is how they obtained the required purity for the BOC compressor.

I look forward to more info.

Peter et al the second unit mounted on the AEC 0854 6x6 had its oygen pump cylinders and plungers lubricated by water, whilst the oxy pump crankshaft was oil lubricated. There is no mention of distilled water and I cannot see a distiolation plant in the set up. It had a water tank linked to the vapourising unit so at the moment I can only conclude it was this water that was used. Whilst not distilled it would have been the next best thing having been produced as a condensate at the vapouriser. Previously it was thought that this unit was a product of late43 early44; however I have found an RAE farnborough file dated 1942 that tasked them into investigating the adverse level of vibration being sufferred by the chassis of these units.
    regards TED

Thanks Ted, now we are getting there! A fully self contained unit; I would love to see a picture and know what the typical output was.

Here you are Peter; just had time for a bit of a study re the lubricating water; Not what I initially thought. It looks to be a tank filled from an outside source, and appears to be a sealed system. ; maybe your eyes are better than mine have a look. pictures of the truck are few and far between. There is a huge set of files in the IWM of photos of WW2 RAF vehicles but I doubt I will ever make that trip south again. The vehicle shot and that of the rear are from an AEC website; There doesn't appear to be a proper vehicle photo in the AP. Output is in the leading particulars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent Ted, thank you.

Going back to the beginning of this thread my query was how WW2 aviation storage cylinders were filled and by what. This data gives me the answer and an important missing piece of the jigsaw is now in place. The FADs under 42 Group RAF were responsible for fuel and oxygen/nitrogen provision over and above their primary task of munitions storage and supply.

I have a number of technical queries on the self-contained AEC plant and will enlist your help in answering these in due course.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information