Thread: Stockport Air Crash Memorial

Default Stockport Air Crash Memorial

Canadair C-4 Argonaught, G-ALHG: Stockport

The memorial is dedicated to the seventy-two passengers a crew who died when British Midland Airways (on charter to Arrowsmiyj Holidays Ltd.) C-4 Argonaught crashed on 4th June, 1967. It was en-route from Mallorca to Manchester. A failed approach resulted in the Captain requesting an overshoot. On the second attempt, Nos. 3 and 4 engines cut, with the propellor on No. 4 beginning to windmill. The aircraft became uncontrollable and crashed.

The subsequent investigation found an inherent problem in the Argonaught fuel system which caused the engines to cut.

Chris

Default Re: Canadair C-4 Argonaught, G-ALHG: Stockport

Hi Chris)

Nice Photo's.

Nice to meet you Thurs, just a pity we couldn't spend a bit more time at Hooten Park, I know I said that Buildings etc wern't as important to me as Memorials but I did reaLLy enjoy looking around the buildings at Hooten Park, thinking of the history attached to the place.

After I had left you, the traffic heading towards Stockport was horrendous, mind you, I copped for a fair traffic jam when I headed off home via the M60 towards Eccles.
    Pleased to see you found the Memorial at Mottram OK.

Malc [Prezzie]

Likewise Malcolm. Cheers for the tour! Yes, we found the Mottram memorial fine. It's a bit of climb up that hill though, isn't it? Worth it though although the light was a bit funny.

Hooton Park was a good site and the locals were terrific. Definitely a re0visit. I think we're looking at early next year and looking at the area in more detail this time. Probably make time for Sealand as well, amongst others.

Cheers,

Chris

I was going through my negative library and came across this taken at Manchester Airport shortly before it's sad demise G-ALHG.jpg

Thread Information