Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Crail

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Crail

Nice colours. Todays' digital is great for colour but if you want real monochrome only film will do.

Ta, I'll tell my Dad.

Back on the subject of torpeod head colours, a reference I have said that the collapsible heads were painted red. So did this mean the blowing heads were yellow? It sort of implies this and I know that collapsible heads were being phased out mid war. There seems to be a lot of opinion in the modelling world but little in the way of facts.

It's just a shame that these lovely old and historical buildings are being left to rot away . I got the distinct impression last time was there ( at a race meeting which ended in tragedy ) that the owners are not really bothered as to what happens to this place.

Just watched a programme called Heir Hunters on TV. They were trying to trace the family of a Russian lady who came to Britain in the 1940's. It transpired that both herself and her brother had both taught Russian to intelligence personnel at Crail during the Cold War. They showed a couple of period photos of the interior and exterior of the buildings and filmed one of the chaps that had been taught there looking around the buildings.

The programme's well worth a look and is currently available to watch on BBC i-player. Particularly interesting from the 28 minute point onwards.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
    A few shots of Crail from 1986. We had permission from the farmer to visit the site, but he told us he would have prosecuted if he had caught us on there without asking him first.
    Don't think he could have followed up on that threat. Part of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 translates into statute what people commonly regarded as their "right to roam” in Scotland. It states the rights and responsibilities of those exercising access rights, as well as those of land managers and recreation managers. You have the right to access most land and inland water including mountains, moorland, woods and forests, grassland, fields, rivers and lochs, coastal areas, most parks and open spaces, golf courses (to cross them); day and night, providing you do so responsibly. It also requires access authorities to uphold access rights.

As long as you were outside the buildings and not causing any damage there is nothing he could do. (In Scotland at any rate). I know that the act is 2003 but there has never been a law of trespass in Scotland.
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 30-07-2013 at 20:59. Reason: formatted quoted text

A 'sedate' wee drive round Crail Airfield in a Ka : )
    Funnily enough I have a connection with this family and a house in a lovely setting that is no far from Crail : ) (back in the early 60's)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIgrq...OP44hmUeXQ0d8g

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information