Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RAF Hereford / RAF Credenhill

Default RAF Hereford / RAF Credenhill

A few pics of RAF Credenhill

What was Credenhill? A quick google seems to suggest a training camp, the hangars appear to be B1s, was this the camp referred to as RAF Hereford?

The Hangars are all Hinaidis. An RAF Technical Training Camp also known as RAF Hereford but now an SAS training camp and HQ

I was stationed here in the early 80s, where the RAF taught me to push a pen. Which I hated. However, I was struck by how well preserved the station was, even for a training unit. Everything was absolutely beyond pristine. Even the wooden huts.

I had a link with the place, as my late Dad was there during WW2 doing his armourer training. He remembered, amongst others Hampdens (maybe Herefords?) and Swordfish airframes hangared there.

Swordfish? Maybe FAA armourers were trained there too.

T.

I was stationed at RAF Hereford in early 1961 for clerk training, and lived in one of the wooden huts for 3 months before going to RAF Hendon, at least one of the hangars was used as a gym, and another couple were used by the MT section. Rather interestingly, I again visited Hereford a number of times in the 1980s while working in MOD, however, on these occasions I stayed in the Officers Mess, which was across the road from the main entrance to the camp, by this time, some of the huts had gone, and the RAF trainees lived in very nice brick barrack blocks.

Robin.

There was an airfield at Hereford. Nothing to do with Credenhill though. It was a civil field centred on the racecourse. It was short lived, opening post-war and I think it closed in the 60's. I have an aerial view of it in a Shell/BP airfield quiz book from the 50's. The quiz also featured in Flight Magazine as a series of adverts during the early 50's.

Peter

Default Re: RAF Credenhill

Did my RAF corporals course there, the huts were still in use as offices. Incidentally there was a railway line in to the camp near the hangars, I believe it was a storage unit as well as a tech training school.

At a summer camp in 1975, where it was referred to as RAF Credenhill, it housed the RAF Catering training school and the WRAF equivalent of Swinderby! Food was great and lots of young ladies around the place.

Default RAF Credenhill

Thought I should add this RAF establishment to the list.

RAF Credenhill is located about 6 miles NW of Hereford. It was home to No 11 School of Technical Training and opened in June 1940. It then supported a variety of training functions including the RAF Secretarial Branch, the RAF Equipment Officers School, No 1 School of General Service Training, the RAF School of Administrative Training and until 1985, No 1 School of Catering (yummy!). From 1974 to 1982 it housed the WRAF School of Recruit Training. In 1983 the Youth Training Squadron (YTS) formed at the camp. The Army bought the site after the cloasure of the YTS in 1994 and 22 SAS (Hereford's most suntanned!!) moved in in May 1999.

I know that there has always been a lot of helicopter traffic and can remember seeing hangars during open day visits, but cannot remember an actual landing strip. Can anyone help?

There is already a thread here:

http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...play.php?f=109

As it is a non-airfield training establishment

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information