Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RAF Hereford / RAF Credenhill

Default Re: RAF Hereford / RAF Credenhill

Lovely to see these photo. I was a member of the 330th Entry Administrative Apprentices who were trained at RAF Hereford (Credenhill was the hill we had to run up and down). My entry were the last of the apprentices and we were at Hereford from September 1972 until august 1973. We lived in the barrack blocks shown and used the gymnasium which was in one of the hangars. The camp was split by a road that kept the medical centre on the other side and outside camp bounds as I remember and further down a fork to the left lead to the married quarters.
    I am in the process of organising a reunion for our 40th anniversary and will be linking to these pages in the web site I am building. I am sure many of the lads will be pleased to see some of the photos and that they will bring back memories, so thank you for that.

I wonder, does Credenhill/Hereford count as an airfield now it has 8 Flight AAC based there?

Well the definition of an airfield is IIRC "a place prepared for the take of and landing of aircraft" so I suppose you could class it as an airfield. But no doubt someone will disagree.

I was at RAF Hereford in the summer of 1988 for an Air Cadet Leadership Course. Loved the place! Cannot remember much from the photo's posted, but do remember running out of the main gate and heading towards the actual Credenhill! When you're being run up it, it seems more like Credenmountain! In a strange twist of fate, my mother-in-law lives just up the road from the camp.

I do also remember the railway line running through the camp.

At the time, we were looked after by junior officer aircrew (pilot and navigators). This was interesting as even though they were commisisoned, they seemed so much more human than others I had bumped into over the years.

I seem to recall even though we were air cadets, the whole camp was so friendly, even in the mess. (Some seemed to be less friendlier with the CCF element, but cest le vie)

I was at Hereford January 1965 to December 1965. 302 Entry U/T Supp/Gen Apprentices. Without doubt, it was probably one of the best years of my life, as I made lifelong mates and had an absolute gas throughout my time in the RAF! I lived in Bishop block and well remember being awoken at about 2 am one morning and rushing outside the block to shiver in the cold! The fire alarm had gone off. It turned out that we had a member of our billet who thought that he would roast us all alive by setting fire to the study room lockers. Not a good idea when you store model making equipment in them, including dope for covering model aircraft. But my REAL lasting memory is this. I was a drummer in the apprentice band and it was our pass out day. All smart we were. Parents eagerly awaiting for us all to march into the Drill Hangar( weather was bad so keep us all out of the rain). Of course, we also had the Regional band and the 'powers that be' decided that having TWO bands was one too many. So who had to give way? Right! It was the Apprentices! Oh Boy! Were we mad!!!? One of the lads was from Northern Ireland and his folks had come all the way to see him Pass Out. A drumstick through the skin of his drum was his revenge(although he did have to replace it). But disappointments apart, RAF Hereford was the start of my life and I LOVE her!

Quote Originally Posted by RayH View Post
    Lovely to see these photo. I was a member of the 330th Entry Administrative Apprentices who were trained at RAF Hereford (Credenhill was the hill we had to run up and down). My entry were the last of the apprentices and we were at Hereford from September 1972 until august 1973. We lived in the barrack blocks shown and used the gymnasium which was in one of the hangars. The camp was split by a road that kept the medical centre on the other side and outside camp bounds as I remember and further down a fork to the left lead to the married quarters.
    I am in the process of organising a reunion for our 40th anniversary and will be linking to these pages in the web site I am building. I am sure many of the lads will be pleased to see some of the photos and that they will bring back memories, so thank you for that.
    I was 330 entry Supplier General, so was in the same time. Would be very interested in re-union.

Regards Andy Rudd

ajr6400@hotmail.com

Default Re: RAF Credenhill

Quote Originally Posted by canberra View Post
    Did my RAF corporals course there, the huts were still in use as offices. Incidentally there was a railway line in to the camp near the hangars, I believe it was a storage unit as well as a tech training school.
    me too [general service training] for 4 weeks then another 4 at scampton.

I must be getting old, like others on here I am ex apprentice, 1966/67. However, I do not recall a railway line. Can somebody help me out please and tell me where it was?

During my time at Credenhill as a BE from Jan 1963 to July 1964 there was no railway line running through the base as mentioned by Clinka in post 38. There was, however, the Hereford, Hay and Brecon GWR branch line that followed the camp boundary, way out across the far side of the many football, rugby and hockey pitches on the extreme southern side of the camp.

Credenhill railway station was a short distance away and was used by hundreds of BE's heading home during block leave periods. Branch steam trains would run them into the main Hereford station for connection with main line trains. Unfortunately, I never experienced this myself as passenger services were withdrawn from Credenhill three weeks before I arrived. Goods traffic, however, continued until September 64. I recall once walking the line into Hereford on a very cold and wet day. I didn't do it twice!

The station site and tree lined railway boundary can still be easily seen on Google Earth. Regards....Paul

Thanks for that Paul. My memories of the railway were being conveyed to Hereford station on one of Yeomans coaches. We were all in different zones according to which area of the country you were going to. Your zone also indicated your departure time from Hereford.

Memories that I do have relate to crossing from Snow Hill to New Street station in Birmingham at a record pace to ensure a seat on the northbound journey.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information