Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RAF Hereford / RAF Credenhill

Default Re: RAF Credenhill

Quote Originally Posted by canberra View Post
    Did my RAF corporals course there, the huts were still in use as offices. Incidentally there was a railway line in to the camp near the hangars, I believe it was a storage unit as well as a tech training school.
    me too [general service training] for 4 weeks then another 4 at scampton.

I must be getting old, like others on here I am ex apprentice, 1966/67. However, I do not recall a railway line. Can somebody help me out please and tell me where it was?

During my time at Credenhill as a BE from Jan 1963 to July 1964 there was no railway line running through the base as mentioned by Clinka in post 38. There was, however, the Hereford, Hay and Brecon GWR branch line that followed the camp boundary, way out across the far side of the many football, rugby and hockey pitches on the extreme southern side of the camp.

Credenhill railway station was a short distance away and was used by hundreds of BE's heading home during block leave periods. Branch steam trains would run them into the main Hereford station for connection with main line trains. Unfortunately, I never experienced this myself as passenger services were withdrawn from Credenhill three weeks before I arrived. Goods traffic, however, continued until September 64. I recall once walking the line into Hereford on a very cold and wet day. I didn't do it twice!

The station site and tree lined railway boundary can still be easily seen on Google Earth. Regards....Paul

Thanks for that Paul. My memories of the railway were being conveyed to Hereford station on one of Yeomans coaches. We were all in different zones according to which area of the country you were going to. Your zone also indicated your departure time from Hereford.

Memories that I do have relate to crossing from Snow Hill to New Street station in Birmingham at a record pace to ensure a seat on the northbound journey.

Hi all My Dad John Yandle was station here for his basic training in 1951 (national service) he was here for about 6-8 weeks,before he moved to RAF Wantage (i think ) where he was there for 4 moths before join 36 squadron then went to the canal zone in Egypt where he was for 18 months .before coming back to England and demo he reach the rank of Corporal he RAF number is 2517444

Default Re: RAF Hereford / RAF Credenhill

I was there in 1962 and they were there then I think they new then before that I was in a nice wooden hut with 2 pot bellied stoves .Those were the days .?

Quote Originally Posted by Jones189 View Post
    I was there in 1962 and they were there then I think they new then before that I was in a nice wooden hut with 2 pot bellied stoves .Those were the days .?
    I was at R.A.F Hereford in 1951 for 8 weeks basic training,this was the start of my two years National Services. I was in F Flight in the same billet was Freddie Truman, the Yorkshire and England fast bowler (Fiery Fred) The lasting memory was the terrible food. A few years ago I met up with Fred not long before he died, he still remembered Credenhill.
    Happy days

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Welcome to AiX longevity, some of us are old enough to remember Freddy Trueman!

If he was still with us, he would need to change his surname for the sake of 'political correctness'

Quote Originally Posted by Powers View Post
    During my time at Credenhill as a BE from Jan 1963 to July 1964 there was no railway line running through the base as mentioned by Clinka in post 38. There was, however, the Hereford, Hay and Brecon GWR branch line that followed the camp boundary, way out across the far side of the many football, rugby and hockey pitches on the extreme southern side of the camp.

Credenhill railway station was a short distance away and was used by hundreds of BE's heading home during block leave periods. Branch steam trains would run them into the main Hereford station for connection with main line trains. Unfortunately, I never experienced this myself as passenger services were withdrawn from Credenhill three weeks before I arrived. Goods traffic, however, continued until September 64. I recall once walking the line into Hereford on a very cold and wet day. I didn't do it twice!

The station site and tree lined railway boundary can still be easily seen on Google Earth. Regards....Paul
    I remember being run "ragged" around the camp and recall running up and over repeatedly the raised bank that would have had the train line on it. Cannot recall if it actually had a track on it, but don't remember climbing over any boundary fences etc to get to it. I was only there a week and apologies for any mis-communication.

Interestingly, my late step-father-in-law used to catch the same train into Hereford from Moorhampton Station - which no longer exists, although there is a lovely little campsite there now.

Hi Guy's.

I'm not in the forces, but a resident from Hereford, and wish to give a bit of history on the above thread.

Stirling Lines used to be called Bradbry Lines and was just inside the south city limits. Back in the 1960's (I was pre-teenager at the time) the camp was so secure that I used to ride horses through the camp to get from one road to another, only once did I get stopped and asked what I was up to! The camp used to be sign posted from most of the main roads, but when the troubles flared up in Ireland all the signs were removed with the consequences of squadies asking for directions and us young kids sending them all over the place.... well you never knew who they were ;o). In later years as a teenager I had friends of friends who 'worked' at sterling lines and quite often we were advised to keep out of local pubs, but nothing ever came of that thank goodness, though some major cities weren't so lucky.

Also during the 1960's my father was a mechanic for a local transport firm who had contracts with the RAF camp at Credenhill. The lorries were in a bit of a state and were often breaking down due to their age and should have been scrapped years before. I quite often accompanied my father to the RAF camp to make good the old trucks, so was quite familiar with its layout. In the mid 1970's I occasionally went there with local rock bands to entertain the 'troops'. Since the camp was taken over by the present residents, the security has changed somewhat from the day's of riding horses through their previous camp.

Can anyone help me with my question please? When the RAF was still at Credenhill they held an 'open day' with various air and static displays. I think the show was sometime between 1975 and 1980ish. Can anyone advise the specific year please?

Thanks in advance

JAB

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information