Thread: Nantwich Crash Memorial

Default Nantwich Crash Memorial

A memorial to Lt Arthur Brown was Dedicated on 18th May 1994. It is located behind some houses on Shrewbridge Road.

I took these photos on 28 October 2009

Default Re: Lt Arthur L Brown, Nantwich

I assume from the words that it is the actual burial site. Is this because of the nature of the crash?

Not a common practice I would think. The only roadside burials I have come across were made a century before the road and housing encroached on the land.

This one is one of those odd sites, the memorial (paved area) may or may not actually be over the crash site depending on who you talk to and the pilot has a grave at Madingley, though that in itself doesn't mean too much.

The aircraft dived into the ground from approx 24,000ft after loss of control, possibly due to anoxia (all the evidence ended up in tiny pieces).

The ground was consecrated because the local residents never recall the body being recovered, I guess at least a few bits of the unfortunate 1st Lt Brown probably were, hence the grave in Cambridgeshire. The USAAF minimum requirement to call someone recovered was approx 19lb (more than the RAF 7lb absolute minimum).

The lady, now dead, who witnessed the crash and later maintained the grave, told me that all they ever found of the pilot was a hand. Effectively, this is his grave, despite the official burial site at Cambridge.

What Fighter Group / Squadron was Arthur Brown in?

TomT

Details:
    http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co...nds42-7925.htm

Fighter Training Group, based at Atcham - which explains what he was doing in that part of the UK. RIP.

Thread Information